LaunchBox Community Forums

Confusion about the suggested emulators

DJQuad

So one thing that really confused me when importing ROMs was the suggestion of the "best" emulator for that system. I can't remember the exact system but I think it was Nintendo. It was suggested that I use an emulator like Nestopia, but why? Both MAME and RetroArch run it perfectly fine as far as I know. Another example was that I install VisualBoyAdvance. That is literally one of the worst emulators I have ever tried to configure. I'm not a huge fan of RetroArch and would personally rather not ever deal with their confusing UI, changing cores, incompatibility with the features they brag about, etc ever again. It's not at all clear what should be the ideal setup for LaunchBox should be. I have G:\LaunchBox\Emulators\MAME 0.174, G:\LaunchBox\Emulators\WinVICE-2.4-x86, MAMEUIFX 0.173, MAMEUI 0.173 (that includes MESS 0.172), RetroArch 1.3.4, Atari800 3.1.0, ePSXe1925, kat5200, and so on. Vanilla MAME was also suggested, which includes things like nag screens, no direct input, etc. It's a freaking mess. Even Jason suggested to change the default. It's so confusing.

DJQuad said So one thing that really confused me when importing ROMs was the suggestion of the "best" emulator for that system. I can't remember the exact system but I think it was Nintendo. It was suggested that I use an emulator like Nestopia, but why? Both MAME and RetroArch run it perfectly fine as far as I know. Another example was that I install VisualBoyAdvance. That is literally one of the worst emulators I have ever tried to configure. I'm not a huge fan of RetroArch and would personally rather not ever deal with their confusing UI, changing cores, incompatibility with the features they brag about, etc ever again. It's not at all clear what should be the ideal setup for LaunchBox should be. I have G:\LaunchBox\Emulators\MAME 0.174, G:\LaunchBox\Emulators\WinVICE-2.4-x86, MAMEUIFX 0.173, MAMEUI 0.173 (that includes MESS 0.172), RetroArch 1.3.4, Atari800 3.1.0, ePSXe1925, kat5200, and so on. Vanilla MAME was also suggested, which includes things like nag screens, no direct input, etc. It's a freaking mess. Even Jason suggested to change the default. It's so confusing.
@DJQuad - If you're migrating from HyperSpin why wouldn't you just use your existing RocketLaucher setup? If it works in HyperSpin it will work in LaunchBox.

SentaiBrad said Some people don't want to couple RL with LaunchBox. Granted, you can and people do, but if you don't want the feature difference then it ultimetly wont matter.
For anyone that has RocketLauncher setup for a different frontend it only makes sense. Setting up and configuring the emulators are the most time consuming and toughest part for most people. If you already have that done, why not leverage it? I know that DJQuad is using HyperSpin and he likely already has this working. Also, Jason has been very active on the HyperSpin forum lately and has shown interest in incorporating RocketLauncher for people that are using it. RocketLauncher is a great backend and if it's leveraged it would allow for more time to spent on the LaunchBox frontend. Why reinvent the wheel? If you have RocketLauncher setup you can easily move to any frontend. I personally think that your frontend preference is tied to where you are using it. In other words, I use a different frontend on my cabinet vs. my HTPC vs. my PC. Using RocketLauncher on all of them only make sense to me.

progets said @DJQuad - If you're migrating from HyperSpin why wouldn't you just use your existing RocketLaucher setup? If it works in HyperSpin it will work in LaunchBox.
I probably will for my setup, but I'll be helping friends starting from scratch who don't use it. Do you know if the plugin was created? I know they were close.