LaunchBox Community Forums

Bulk change ROM folder

martinconroy

Sorry if I'm missing something obvious, but I can't find a way to do this when I keep ROMS in their original folder. An example of my issue is if I change the name of my game folder from (for example) "N64" to "Nintendo N64". I can't see a way to change this for all my N64 games? Would it be feasible to have a "default" folder for a platform? i.e. ROMS in that folder could have their file stored without the full path, and then the path could easily be changed from a central location?

If you keep your roms in the LaunchBox folder they do have relative pathing, but there are two ways to go about changing a systems roms folder or a drive letter. You can either delete the games in LB and re-import them and turn off all media downloading. This will import within a few min depending on size, and all of the media will still be associated as long as rom names or game names don't change. The other more power user way is to use Notepad++ and to use the Find and Replace feature on your LaunchBox.xml. Close LaunchBox first before making any changes and create a manual backup incase your backup folder is not caught up for any reason. Say your folder was "D:\Emulators\Nintendo 64\" and it's now "D:\Emulators\N64\", then find the first path and replace all with the second path. I've done this several times with the Drive letter, found "F:\", Replaced it with "H:\" in the past. If you just have 1 system though, re-importing without downloading is also super easy. In terms of making that kind of transition easier, there is no really easy way once you've set the path unless we build a function that is something along the lines of "Move Roms" when you edit a Platform. The old path is already set, you press the button and it asks you for the new path and it moves everything for you and re-associats it within LaunchBox. The two methods above are the easiest workarounds though.