LaunchBox Community Forums

How to keep favorite games after reinstalling?

Zide

Hey guys, I first installed LaunchBox on my cloud drive, then I later moved it to Documents after I changed my mind. Because of this, some LaunchBox folders have been recreated inside my cloud drive and the rest are where they should be, in the Documents folder. Big Box also feels pretty laggy, despite me having an i7-6700K, a GTX 980 and 16GB of RAM. In other words, my LaunchBox installation is a huge mess at the moment. To save me some headaches, I will just uninstall and reinstall LaunchBox completely and re-import all my ROMs. I don't mind doing this at all, but I do have a concern. How can I do this and keep my favorite games from each system? It took me quite some time to find all my favorite games and I would hate to do it again. If anyone could help me out, I'd be very grateful. Thank you.

The folders that got recreated are probably image folders, so you need to edit them back to a portable value. When I moved my install my old location had folders being remade too. So for example, I had F:\LaunchBox\Images\SNES, when a relative path should have just been Images\SNES. I had to edit my XML because I also moved my entire Emulator folder from one drive to another bigger drive. So I had to edit off the Drive letter (F:\Emulators to S:\Emulators, so everything was right), and change the image path from an absolute path to a relative path. Notepad++ will work well with the Ctrl + F function. There is a Find and Replace all option. Or you can edit the image paths in LaunchBox under edit platform, but this has to be done 1 at a time. You can see the path it's using in here. Otherwise, I think you're losing performance because it's on your OS drive. This is just a guess, but unless that's an SSD there is probably not enough read / write speed OR LaunchBox and BigBox are currently still caching and it might be taking forever because of the drive. If you have a different, non-internal Hard Drive or even a USB3 external I would try putting LaunchBox there. Even if you edit the paths first, then move it, as long as you make the paths relative instead of absolute, then it wont matter and it should work right away.

SentaiBrad said The folders that got recreated are probably image folders, so you need to edit them back to a portable value. When I moved my install my old location had folders being remade too. So for example, I had F:\LaunchBox\Images\SNES, when a relative path should have just been Images\SNES. I had to edit my XML because I also moved my entire Emulator folder from one drive to another bigger drive. So I had to edit off the Drive letter (F:\Emulators to S:\Emulators, so everything was right), and change the image path from an absolute path to a relative path. Notepad++ will work well with the Ctrl + F function. There is a Find and Replace all option. Or you can edit the image paths in LaunchBox under edit platform, but this has to be done 1 at a time. You can see the path it's using in here. Otherwise, I think you're losing performance because it's on your OS drive. This is just a guess, but unless that's an SSD there is probably not enough read / write speed OR LaunchBox and BigBox are currently still caching and it might be taking forever because of the drive. If you have a different, non-internal Hard Drive or even a USB3 external I would try putting LaunchBox there. Even if you edit the paths first, then move it, as long as you make the paths relative instead of absolute, then it wont matter and it should work right away.
Thanks! I'll try that out. By the way, I have 2 SSD's and one of them is the OS drive. Should I move LaunchBox and all my ROMs to the other, albeit slightly slower, SSD? It has plenty of space for it. Oh, and your tutorials are awesome. Thanks!

Thank you for the kind words. I would certainly move LaunchBox to the SSD, it will make the cache operation much faster. I don't want to say that as to mean there isn't a lot of work we can still do, cause there is, but there are certain things that will help. Putting the games on the SSD wont necessarily help, even for PS2 or Wii games, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

• 2 weeks later...
I think you're losing performance because it's on your OS drive. This is just a guess, but unless that's an SSD there is probably not enough read / write speed OR LaunchBox and BigBox are currently still caching and it might be taking forever because of the drive. If you have a different, non-internal Hard Drive or even a USB3 external I would try putting LaunchBox there. Event Organizer in Bangalore | Game Organizer in Bangalore