LaunchBox Community Forums

Separate Database Entries for Japan systems/games?

phillip9933

So I'm not sure how many people would really use it but it's it possible to create an additional DB system for the Japan systems to scrape against?

Lots of unique games and often very different box art etc for the Japanese games.  Would be nice to differentiate them more.  Although I assume most people combine all the region Tom's and only keep 1g1r style. Just seeing how much work it would be to add additional system categories vs how many people would actually use it

Did we talk about this the other day in another thread? Either way, I know Jason wants to work on the Database more, but LaunchBox and BigBox have been holding his interest more recently, but he wants to get back to it. I know one of the things high up on his list is alternate naming and dates, or better ways to handle regional changes. The Database already has image categories for different regions, but not for names and dates. If I recall, there is an identification process in LaunchBox now to detect region (if it's in the name with certain identifications), so I can see if a game is matched on the database, based on the region it see's, it assigns the proper regional metadata and media. There could also be some play with different regions in the Image Priorities system as well.

Adding changes to the database will always be a lot of work, it all has to be created, but in the long run I think the census is that one game should live on one page for that system (in terms of regional differences). We just need to get there. The database is completely custom built from Jason, so everything you see can be deeply integrated in to LaunchBox but it requires all of his attention. Especially after the convention, there has been more and more requests for LB/BB stuff. We want everything to be as accurate as possible for each game, but we also want to cover alternates and have it be clean. On several systems there are multiple entries for certain games because of different regions and this commonly leads to people making changes to one regions metadata based on another regions metadata because they don't know the other one exists. So not only does alternate everything need to be made, but also a way to request games to be merged, and then which game's metadata belongs to which region.

We love talking new features and ways to go about it with the community though, and most of everything I've already said has actually been in discussion for several months, well before I took my sabbatical.

Yeah we discussed it a little bit in the Troubleshooting thread but I thought I would bring it up here in the official suggestions forum to make sure it was in the right place to open it as an actual suggestion / discussion.

Ah, ok I knew the DB had a region field but wasn't sure if it was actually being used for anything besides sorting purposes or anything like that.  And as I mentioned in the other thread I am definitely willing to help with getting the Japan region more cleaned up and populated.  Just looking for the best way to contribute.  i.e. I didn't want to populate my local database(xml) with information that doesn't align with the uploading requirements.  I don't know how the DB is currently setup(OOM vs RDM) so it is hard to have ideas on the best way to implement althoughyou guys have probably already discussed this quite a lot :) .  But going with what you are suggesting it would be an Relational setup...

So there would be a main table for the game which just has all of the various names that it could be scraped by.  Then you would have a sub(related) table for each region containing the information/media links for that region.  So when a game is scraped it first finds the title, then checks for a region, and then pulls the information that matches the title/region.  This would work with roms that actually have the region in the filename but it would also be easy to add a dropdown to the import section to manually specify a region for that import.

I think a setup like that would allow you to maintain one "game" in LB but it covers multiple regions.  So then just an option when selecting the game to select a region you want to play/view