LaunchBox Community Forums

Make region required for box art

Pr0FiT

I propose that when the image type is some type of box art (front, back, whatever) the region field be required. What I've observed setting up my collection in launchbox is that nobody really uses that field unless there is already existing box art. So you'll end up with the first-uploaded box art having no region and the second-uploaded box art having a region; usually jp or eu.

Why is this important? Because the priority settings in the pro version. It will take the tagged picture (99% of the time jp/eu version) over the non-tagged version (99% of the time NA).  So if you want the correct boxart you have to go back into the gamedb, tag the pic, wait for metadata push, reimport metadata. Making the field required and doing it upfront saves the double work.

A lot of things were imported and set up with no information set for the images. Even if the images had that region tag on them, we didn't have that feature at the time. So a bulk of the Database doesn't have the region markers because there was no way to set them up at the start. Now though, things are being edited and added properly daily. Users, for the most part, are following the guidelines fairly well for regional data, but it's going to require a lot of editing to get everything up to that standard. If we keep moving at the rate we are with the number of edits and additions to the database, this will come in due time. Otherwise, I do believe as well that anything new at the very least should require some regional data assigned to it, and seeing as how the regions were expanded again recently it's even easier.

So, for as far as requiring new games to be required a regional tag, you are more than welcome to request that for the Games Database BitBucket. Not the LB BitBucket, but the Issues/Requests button at the top of the Database site.