LaunchBox Community Forums

Please... Research

Enderfect

So noticed in some of my Contributions there are some rejections pertaining to dates Company's etc that are correct and they were rejected by a few i ask please...
if your going to moderate do it correctly... and not reject something cause you didn't do enough research Not just mine but others submissions

By not doing that and rejecting work or data entry's simply by a guess or not thoroughly looking it over you risk holding back the games db from information / resources

Please do not take this aggressively?

Consider every moderation you get as homework Check google wiki / atari legends gamefaqs and amazon are just some to cross reference

Obviously judging the quality of a picture is different im speaking of data entry

Please & Thank you

Happy Moderating :)

Edited by Enderfect

• 2 weeks later...

I know that a few days have elapsed since OP, but I've just started moderating the database, and I'd like to give you my viewpoint.

I marked one entry for deletion that had the Wikipedia URL but had THREE items of wrong information, according to what was at that Wikipedia URL.

I marked two entries for deletion because they were duplicates of the entry just before them, but had maybe one or two MORE items of information filled in than the first one, as if someone added a new entry because, "Ooops, I forgot to add this." Apparently, the items sent for moderation are sent in chronological order, so I had no choice but to mark the two extra ones for deletion.

I let one slide and approved it simply because the MONTH of release was incorrect, according to Wikipedia, but nothing else was wrong about the entry, and I really didn't want to do that, but it wasn't THAT messed up. Only a purist would care about the exact month of release; I just care about the year, personally, and maybe they saw March somewhere else besides Wikipedia, which said October. My suggestion is that if you provided a Wikipedia URL, make sure the dates/publisher/etc. match because I check that first, then see what I can find via Google.

That's how >>I<< moderate, and I've marked nearly 50 for deletion in just two days. Granted, I messed one of them up, but the DB wouldn't take my change ("Chronicles: RuneScape Legends") when I tried to add the colon and capitalize the S. And one of the early ones I marked for deletion, I didn't understand that "ENTER" was the same as hitting the "submit" button, so I didn't get to enter a more complete explanation.

I'd hate to have a conversation about primary vs. secondary sources, but perhaps there is a need . . . I haven't searched the forum for that conversation yet, if someone would care to post a link to an existing one.

Edited by chyatt6385

The way I do is I have 3 Major sites where I check.

First on Mobygames, then ogdb and after that custom google search with giantbomb. 

If all three have the same dates fine. Sometimes 2 of them have the same and maybe mobygames has a different one.That's when I check other sites like gamefaq

and even check the covers and gamemag reviews. I personally don't trust wikipedia that much. Lots of misinformation.