LaunchBox Community Forums

Completely noob question about metadata updating.

LogicalEgo

I can't believe I have never asked this. It's been a while since I updated metadata and a noticed I have some fields empty I would like to update. Just so I get this right, lets say I have game X that has already been assigned the proper launchboxID#. Game X has all the proper information filled out with the exception of release date. When I go to update the metadata and choose to update missing fields so long as game X does have the release date in the LB games database it will fill in the blank area for me? I don't have to completely over write everything to get the new data correct?

Yea, if it's blank, that option will fill that in, or any other fields for any other games it finds. If fields do exist, then eventually we'll either have to build in a lot smarter logic to update bits that have changed instead of downloading the entire metadata and media all over again, which is currently the only way to fully update. Well, the metadata is stored in the LB folder, the metadata.xml gets updated when it asks to update, so it's more proper to say that only the media gets downloaded when requested, the metadata is stored in an xml which gets updated when it detects a change every 24 hours.

• Like 1