LaunchBox Community Forums

Merlin's Portrait Arcade Games Theme

MerlinArcade

Hi guys,

I'm currently building an old 80s arcade cabinet and has I explained in another thread, 75%+ of all the arcade games back then were in Portrait Mode (Vertical Screen).

So I'm trying to create a theme that would look something like this with a vertical screen, horizontal wheel but not a straight wheel, I want a curved one like so.

BB6.jpgAny ideas where to begin? Anyone knows about a theme that has such a curvy horizontal wheel?

Thanks

Merlin

Edited by MerlinArcade

Hi Merlin,

I just checked to see if it's possible, and it sort of is. You have to start with the Horizontal game wheel from the Documentation.pdf, located in the themes folder. There's a 'curveamount' value that has a default of 0, just change that to a higher number to get your desired effect.

For example, I used a CurveAmount of 25, and got this effect:

Spoiler

<coverFlow:FlowControl x:Name="FlowControl" HorizontalAlignment="Stretch" VerticalAlignment="Stretch" Grid.Row="1" ImageType="Clear Logos" CurveAmount="25" CameraZPosition="7.0" VisibleCount="14" PageSize="7" ItemZPosition="1.0" SelectedItemZPosition="4.0" Spacing="3">
                <coverFlow:FlowControl.CoverFactory>
                    <coverFlow:HorizontalWheelCoverFactory />
                </coverFlow:FlowControl.CoverFactory>
            </coverFlow:FlowControl>

vertical-screen-game-list-curve.jpg

I'm not entirely sure if it's possible to rotate the images though. Good luck.

Edited by faeran

2 hours ago, faeran said:

Hi Merlin,

I just checked to see if it's possible, and it sort of is. You have to start with the Horizontal game wheel from the Documentation.pdf, located in the themes folder. There's a 'curveamount' value that has a default of 0, just change that to a higher number to get your desired effect.

For example, I used a CurveAmount of 25, and got this effect:

Hide contents

<coverFlow:FlowControl x:Name="FlowControl" HorizontalAlignment="Stretch" VerticalAlignment="Stretch" Grid.Row="1" ImageType="Clear Logos" CurveAmount="25" CameraZPosition="7.0" VisibleCount="14" PageSize="7" ItemZPosition="1.0" SelectedItemZPosition="4.0" Spacing="3">
                <coverFlow:FlowControl.CoverFactory>
                    <coverFlow:HorizontalWheelCoverFactory />
                </coverFlow:FlowControl.CoverFactory>
            </coverFlow:FlowControl>

vertical-screen-game-list-curve.jpg

I'm not entirely sure if it's possible to rotate the images though. Good luck.

Hi,

Thanks for the code.

I remembered seeing a video where Jason shows some xml code and tells us about the curveamount code but I don't remember which clip.

I don't think I will have to rotate the images because when I select "portrait" I believe windows will flip everything 90 degrees including the images too. At least that's what I noticed when I tested it the other day.

Btw, I'm new to this and barely know xml (just learned HTML about 20 years ago) so 2 questions for you.

1- Can you tell me which theme you took to create this vertical screenshot?

2- What is the name of he xml file that you used to edit this code you posted?

Thanks,

Merlin

Edited by MerlinArcade

5 hours ago, MerlinArcade said:

1- Can you tell me which theme you took to create this vertical screenshot?

2- What is the name of he xml file that you used to edit this code you posted?

I actually copied and pasted the Default theme, and then I used that to edit in visual studio.

The file I edited was just WheelGamesView.xaml, but any of the 4 wheel view files can be used. I deleted most of the contents, built a simple grid and pasted the wheel code in there.

Hope this helps.