bigbox sometimes super slow and laggy

alpenjodler

specs: 

i7-4790 @ 3.6 Ghz

16 GB Ram

GeForce 960Gtx

Windows 10 64bit installed on ssd

harddisk: connected by usb3, does ~ 160-170 MB/s read/write

(today I also tried an internal hdd that does around 120-130 MB/s)

video playback set to vlc (tried media player as well)

ram cache set to 4096

I currently have a total of 26099 games in 33 systems. When the audit tool allows to not only remove the games but readd them as "additional apps", I should be able to trim that down quite a bit. 

cpu use in launchbox in idle is between 0% and 15%, ram use in idle around 1084 MB

in bigbox it stays quite constantly around 12% with also about 1000 MB RAM use

It seems to be a caching issue. If I keep going back and forth between two systems, it gets quicker after a while but it's always slow right after startup.

Is there any way to maybe make it cache wheel images or put them in a special path? Then I could just put those into a ram drive or at least my system ssd so any slowdown from caching should only happen when I stop at a game to look at the actual art ^^

edit: the whole behaviour is quite weird and unpredictable. When I tried it just now to check the cpu and ram use, it was pretty smooth constantly. Before that, I disabled the wheel images and it worked fine with text only. Then I started it again with text only and text only was also slow. Maybe it's really joystick related. I can randomly have x-input enabled or disabled or a mix of those joysticks connected. When it was smooth from the start just now, I had no joysticks connected...

edit 2: it's not completely unplayable. Just if I compare it to various youtube videos (or hyperspin) it's just a lot slower

Edited by alpenjodler