LaunchBox Community Forums

Multiple scrapers for 1 platform?

zannyuk

This may be the wrong place to post this, so if so please move or delete topic as appropriate.  So I have the atari 8 bit tosec and am scanning in all the 8 bit computer games that are in .ATR format.  The problem is the tosec lumps them in all together (both XE and XL games) but launchbox contains a database scraper for "Atari 800" and "Atari XE". 

Can I scrape the same collection twice so it adds the missing artwork that may be in the "XE" cat and not the "Atari 800" cat, can two scrapers be used for 1 platform entry?  If not should i grab a couple of DATs from somewhere and rebuild the Atari 800 and Atari XE as separate sets?

Sorry to bother you all.

You're not bothering at all. LaunchBox only allows you to scrape one platform as one platform at a time currently. Are they labeled any differently? Would they be easy to separate? Otherwise, You can call the platform what ever you want, set it to scrape as Atari 800, then run the updater. When that's finished, you could theoretically scrape it as Atari XE, and then let that run. I don't know how much crossover there is here, but that's the only way I could think to do it now, but I'm afraid some things would get mislabeled.

To be honest, I shall research the topic more but I actually think you may be able to just merge the categories, the XE computers were 99% backwards compatible with the XL range and even the XE exclusives were runnable on the xl range in some way according to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Atari_XEGS_games

I owned an Atari 65XE back in the day with a 1050 floppy drive (which originally was for the XL range) and it literally ran every XL program I tried at the time.

TL;DR The atari 800 and atari xe cats can probably be merged. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari_8-bit_family#Tramiel_era:_XE_series

UPDATE:- It looks like the Atari XE section is about 70% XE Carts (which id imagine would be the correct use of the catagory) but a good 30% should really belong in the Atari 800 catagory.

Edited by zannyuk
More research