LaunchBox Community Forums

How do I add a new platform without having to scan through every system to add games?

andy_d

I'm trying to add a new platform but Launchbox dies on me because it then tries to scan everything I already have in the app - most notably are WiiU games that are many files within folders that it tries to scan.  I just killed the app via task manager after it was looked for more than an hour when I tried to delete the results of searching for new ROMs - there were many entries.

Edited by andy_d

I don't quite understand what you're getting at, but if you're having troubles scanning stuff, then I would say to change your approach. If you use the scan folders option, make sure to select the roms folder for the system you're importing, and even then, only if it only has the rom files you need. If it has multiple rom files, or extra files like DOS or Wii U, then use the Add files option. Navigate to that same roms folder and then use the Windows Search feature. In the search, type something like "*.rpx", with the quotes. You can replace that for any file extension you need, and you can do it multiple times on that same import. If you need more help, watch the tutorials. This small difference is something that I taught for a very long time.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6pTDaHeAz-WMcNURVPU-1xLN_TVpT3FB

Ah I think I figured it out.  Sorry, it's been a while since I've added a new platform so forgot that the proper way of doing it is via "Import ROMs" rather than adding it via "Manage Platforms"

I wasn't trying to add WiiU games.  I already have that.  The problem is if I choose "Scan for Added Roms - All Platforms" - it will scan all the files within the WiiU folders.  I forgot that I need to avoid using that option (unless there is a way to set Launchbox to only search for certain files including rpx)

Ah, through that feature. No, at least not right now unfortunately. I know Jason is always looking for a list of file extensions, for specific systems, to expand the list for that feature though. Essentially a list of file extensions to ignore and a list of file extensions to never ignore.