LaunchBox Community Forums

MSX2 Disk .DSK Games in Launchbox EASY

GuroDragon

I couldn't find a tread on this topic so I hope this helps someone.

Step-1

I used the "DISK.ROM" bios from the Ru-MSX emulator which can easily be found in a google search for RuMSX 0.41 [Windows] [32-Bit Intel].

Note: There are other bios files that work but this is the only one that has worked on all MSX2 games I tried and I tested about 30 games. I know RuMSX comes with a public bios called C-BIOS but I am not sure if its apart of it, so I am reframing from just uploading a zip.

Step-2

Download BlueMSX here http://www.bluemsx.com/

Install

open program go to file>ROM 1 select "DISK.ROM" (or you bios of choice)

That's it, the emulator remembers the last ROM image you loaded. After this simply add the emulator to launchbox and then add your games. The .dsk files open up no problem with no extra command-line parameters needed.  But you will need to swap disk for multi-disk games.

I'm not sure why but I couldn't found any information on loading dsk files through the BlueMSX Libretro on retroarch and this method is pretty easy.

Edited by GuroDragon
  • Like 1

Blumsx in RA load .dsk images like any other rom. Disk swapping is supported in the quick menu, although on the few games I tried I could never get it to work. 90 percent of the msx/msx2 library are flash carts though, with only a few story games and quite a number from the msx magazine days being only available in disk. 

• Like 1