LaunchBox Community Forums

Will this be finished before I die of boredom??

Typhoon1944

Updating Metadata and images on my collection.  24 hours in and not even halfway finished.  Can't remember it taking this long before.  Getting a lot of could not download image http://api.gamesdbbase.com/************************: Remote server returned an error messages.  Double checked my EmuMovies credentials by logging into the website directly and clicking on Test in Launchbox so it's not a bad password.  Anyone else experiencing insanely slow download speeds and image not found errors?

How long a import and download will take obviously depends on how many games you are importing and what sort of internet speeds you have, that does seem like a excessively long time though. That error for api.gamesdatabase.com has nothing to do with emumovies though, that is the Launchbox database returning those errors, so that could explain why it's taking so long if for some reason it's not finding the images on the database. I don't have access to that sort of information though as to how the server is doing at the moment, but i'll look into it and ask the correct people, and report back if i find any information on if the database is having any issues at the moment.

Sorry i couldn't help more, but thank's for reporting the issue. 

@neil9000  Thanks for the reply.  I've imported metadata several times before and it's never taken this long.  I deleted and reimported MAME stuff as I had done it incorrectly previously and the import wizard hadn't named them properly.  I thought I would take advantage and update the metadata for my whole collection.  I'm on a 40Meg Fibre To The Cabinet internet service and average speedtests seem to be around 34Meg.  It's only certain images that seem to be failing so maybe it's just that there's no image available as so far there's about 550 errors out of a few thousand roms.  When other people have posted similar error messages the general consensus seems to be that incorrect EmuMovies credentials were the culprit so I thought I would just confirm that they were all ok to aid in troubleshooting.

Ok thank's for the update, yeah you have pretty much the same internet speeds as me, i have 38mb fibre to the cab and i have never had to wait anywhere near to that amount of time even when updating my entire collection. I wonder if launchbox has got stuck in a loop of not finding images. Have you tried cancelling the metadata update and restarting it. You will keep anything you have already downloaded, so launchbox will skip over those if you initiate the update wizard again.

No, not tried cancelling it as I've been trying to do this since Sunday evening but had a couple of failed attempts where it had returned over 20000 errors which is pretty much my whole collection.  That appears to definitely have been my EmuMovies credentials though because I re-entered them into the Launchbox options menu and initially it was updating pretty quickly with no errors but when I returned home from work it had slowed right down and the progress bar had only moved a little.  It had still only produced less than 100 errors at that point so I just put the slowness down to it now being able to successfully parse more information from both Launchbox and EmuMovies.  I'm streaming the PC to my tablet at work through Splashtop so I can keep an eye on it and it's now (just!) over halfway with 578 errors.  I think I'll just let it run till it's finished and see what happens but if it turns out there are issues affecting the Launchbox database I'll maybe run it again later and tell it to ignore anything that's already there.

That's how i always update myself, i choose the "don't overwrite existing metadata/images" option, so it only grabs stuff i don't have rather than grabbing everything all over again. That would explain why your's is taking longer than mine does, but it still shouldn't take that long though.