LaunchBox Community Forums

Use NAS for Media Storage

Romfrosk

Hi.

Currently setting up a massive collection of ROM for about 50 different systems.
And i want to store all Media files (Images, Video, Manuals ++) on a NAS drive.

All is connected on a GBit interface (NAS has 2GBit)

Would it be a major difference in performance compared to having the media locally?
ROMs are already stored on the same NAS

1 hour ago, Romfrosk said:

Nice :)

Do you run the entire software from the NAS, or only the Media/ROM files?

roms & media on NAS, connected to pc through drive mapping, software and emulators installed locally. I should correct myself and add if your games are zipped the startup time is a little bit longer...maybe 5-8 seconds more for a ps2 iso, My assumption is to unzip the entire file has to be transferred then unzipped locally whereas with ISO i think it's just streaming data as needed.

2 hours ago, Pr0FiT said:

roms & media on NAS, connected to pc through drive mapping, software and emulators installed locally. I should correct myself and add if your games are zipped the startup time is a little bit longer...maybe 5-8 seconds more for a ps2 iso, My assumption is to unzip the entire file has to be transferred then unzipped locally whereas with ISO i think it's just streaming data as needed.

I try to extract the ones i can :)

Currently holding 5TB of ROMs.
Is there a way to set a default location for Mediafiles? 
Changing every platform manually is time consuming
(Starting the import of the library today)

I structure my stuff a little different than LB conventions so I'm stuck doing it manually but you can either do a mass-update using notepad++ search & replace or you can just symlink the folder to your mapped drive `mklink /j Images <nas path to images> `