LaunchBox Community Forums

Retroarch Bezels/Overlays question

mpfjr

I am still working on my first setup and found a point where I believe that has to be a much easier way to do this.

So I have set up Retroarch for the emulator for most of my games.  In this example I am talking about coin-op or mame roms. 

I downloaded a bezel pack that contained the .cfg and .png files which is great but I don't know how to auto-populate the bezels with individual games.

So my procedure right now is to go to the game within retroarch, load it up, start+select to back out to the menu, go over to settings, down to UI, to Overlay, then navigate to the game specific overlay eg, 1941.cfg, then back out to the quick menu, press up one time to end up at the bottom where it says override game overlay, press A to select, then back out, close content, and open the next game 1942 and repeat.

At this rate with over 10K games I'll be at this for days and days.

I would think there would be a single downloadable config file that I can edit that would point all games to their respective .cfg files and if they don't exist defaults to mame-horizontal.

For example, if you look in the Overlays folder you'll find the .cfg files.  Those files have data like this: "

overlays = 1

overlay0_overlay = 1941.png

overlay0_full_screen = true

overlay0_descs = 0
"

Whereas if we look in the /retroarch/config/FB Alpha folder we have a .cfg file that looks like this"

input_overlay = ":\overlays\ArcadeBezels\1941.cfg"

"

As those are not the same format, it isn't like I can just copy and paste the .cfg files from one folder to the other.

And since each rom has its own .cfg file, it isn't as easy as copy/pasting information.  I'd have to copy and paste all the .cfg files from the overlays folder into the config / FB Alpha folder then edit each one removing the previous information and replacing it with the new data and then changing the name to associate with the rom.

That might take just as long if not longer.

There has to be an automated way to do this.

Hope I was clear in my explanation.  

Edited by mpfjr