LaunchBox Community Forums

Game Controllers - Exiting and Setup

SpaceCoyote

I'm loving BigBox but I I am having trouble setting everything up - do I actually have to configure each controller for each emulator?? I'm using Xbox One controllers since I do a lot of Steam/PC Games.

Also - is there a simple way to set up an Exit command using the controller? I can't seem to find the right hotkey script, I'm not sure where to add it if so. I found one thread but it seems the key screenshots showing the right approach aren't working. 

Yeah controllers will need to be setup with the emulators you are using, Launchbox has no control over that its down to the emulator in question. As for exiting you will need to turn on controller automation in the Bigbox options, you then set a hold button which you will have to hold to access the other buttons in that screen.  a lot of users use select/back as the hold button then use start as the exit button, so you hold select/back and press start to exit.

1 hour ago, neil9000 said:

Yeah controllers will need to be setup with the emulators you are using, Launchbox has no control over that its down to the emulator in question. As for exiting you will need to turn on controller automation in the Bigbox options, you then set a hold button which you will have to hold to access the other buttons in that screen.  a lot of users use select/back as the hold button then use start as the exit button, so you hold select/back and press start to exit.

yeah I tried the hold button thing... it doesn't seem to work :(

bummer about the controllers! I'm coming from retropie where when you plug something in, it works on everything. pretty awesome... I guess i'll do my current controllers and remind myself to redo it when I get a new one 

1 minute ago, SpaceCoyote said:

bummer about the controllers! I'm coming from retropie where when you plug something in, it works on everything. pretty awesome... I guess i'll do my current controllers and remind myself to redo it when I get a new one 

Well that is because retropie is using retroarch so nearly all systems are using the same emulator and that is why the controls are setup, you can use retroarch with your Launchbox which would simplify controller setup hugely as you set them once and forget them more or less.

3 minutes ago, SpaceCoyote said:

yeah I tried the hold button thing... it doesn't seem to work :(

The automation works just fine it sends a escape command when used, so you must be using a emulator that doesn't use escape to exit, what emulator are you testing with?

Ahhh you know what happened, I was thinking all the launchbox settings would carry over into Big Box. Oops!

Is there a guide for configuring RetroArch to be the emulator of choice for Launchbox? Everything I seem to find for RetroArch is about setting it up as a front-end