LaunchBox Community Forums

Big Box not exiting properly from MAME

Sasquatch5

Note 100% sure if this will fix your issue or not (after I re-read your symptoms, it might not be related to this).  But, there are two ways to exit MAME from within LB/BB, one is by adding the following to the Autohotkey Script tab in LB while editing the emulator:

$Esc::
{
    Process, Close, {{{StartupEXE}}}

Or another way is to leave that area empty in LB, and then in MAME you can re-map the Cancel UI buttons assigned in MAME itself to same controls that you normally use in LB/BB to exit emulators.  The reason this is preferred is that if you use the AHK script, MAME doesn't close properly, saving changes you might have made (to artwork, video settings etc.).  But, if you re-map the Cancel UI (it might be called Exit UI, can't remember for sure) in MAME, then MAME exits properly when you press those keys, saving any changes you might have made, etc. 

If making changes in MAME and saving them is not imortant, then the easier of the two solutions is the fist one I mentioned above.

Hope this helps,
CDBlue

Edited by CDBlue
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, CDBlue said:

Note 100% sure if this will fix your issue or not (after I re-read your symptoms, it might not be related to this).  But, there are two ways to exit MAME from within LB/BB, one is by adding the following to the Autohotkey Script tab in LB while editing the emulator:

Thanks, I'll give both of those a shot. I'm not sure if that is the issue, because of what's happening when it exits. I'm currently not using a controller (waiting on an X-Arcade Tankstick to get delivered) so I'm just testing still at this point.

Yeah, makes sense. If you're using the ESC key, which is the default in Mame to exit the emulator though, just make sure that you also do not have any Autohotkey Script setup on the appropriate tab on the Emulator setup in LB.  That script will take precedence if you launch MAME via LB/BB, and using the built-in exit in MAME is preferred, I guess that's what I was trying to explain lol

5 hours ago, CDBlue said:

Yeah, makes sense. If you're using the ESC key, which is the default in Mame to exit the emulator though, just make sure that you also do not have any Autohotkey Script setup on the appropriate tab on the Emulator setup in LB.  That script will take precedence if you launch MAME via LB/BB, and using the built-in exit in MAME is preferred, I guess that's what I was trying to explain lol

I just checked and I am not using any Autohotkey script. I'm using this command to launch the game. mame64.exe -skip_gameinfo "FULL\PATH\TO\ROM\FILE"

Then I'm just pressing Escape to exit.