LaunchBox Community Forums

Nvidia Shield Controller Settings

kaichou

So I've setup all of my emulators to use an Xbox 360 controller.  I recently got an Nvidia Shield, thinking I could stream BigBox.  Well, I can, but the problem is that even if I connect my XBox 360 controller to the Nvidia Shield, it wont present it to my Windows box as an XBox controller.  Thus a lot of times, the buttons aren't recognized across the various emulators.

My question is, does anyone know of a way (addon maybe?) to use the Nvidia shield to present my XBox controller across the network to my windows emulation machine as an XBox controller?

Hi There,

So when you connect your XBox Controller to the nVidia Shield and connect to your windows PC, the windows PC should see it as a Xbox360 Controller for Windows.  On your Windows PC, are you just sharing out just Bigbox to your nVidia shield? 

If so, I have had a hard time trying to get some emulators to recognize the controller buttons when launched from Bigbox if Bigbox is the only application shared to your nVidia Shield.  Not sure why that was.  It was a big issue for me with setting up Taito Type X.  So my recommendation is try option 1...if option 1 doesn't work try option 2 will definitely work.

Option 1: What I did that initially solved my problem was share out remote desktop (mstsc.exe) instead of just Bigbox.  I then have an AutoHotKey script that launches Bigbox automatically when your gamestream session connects.  Your Windows PC should pick up your controller as a XBox 360 Controller for Windows in Device Manager.

Option 2: However; with the method above, I needed my set up to be a little more versatile....ie for Dolphin, I wanted to use wiimotes as real wiimotes in the emulator (using a Mayflash bar)  instead of emulated ones.  So what I ultimately have in my setup is this:  There is a nifty program that you can install on your nVidia shield and Windows PC called VirtualHere.  So with this program, your USB devices that are connected to the nVidia Shield are virtually connected to your Windows PC like they were actually plugged into the PC.  If you connect a Bluetooth transceiver to your nVidia Shield, it will show up as if the device is plugged into your Windows PC and you set up your device connections on the Windows PC and not the Shield.  If you connect, say a Mayflash bar to your nVidia Shield, it will show up on your Windows PC as if you connected the Mayflash bar physically to your PC.  With this set up, Windows will definitely recognize your controller as a Xbox 360 Controller for Windows within Device Manager.  Let me know if you have questions on setting this up and I can walk you through this set up.

Edited by iggy

How Windows handles the controller GUIDs are a little chaotic sometimes.  My initial suggestion is to try a reboot of your PC to see if your controller defaults to Player 1.  If I let my controller's bluetooth time out, and I reconnect it again, for some reason the USB slot increases (player 1 become player 2 and player 2 becomes player 3, etc)...its pretty random...in my case, all I need to do is a reboot of my PC to set everything back originally.  If that doesn't work, you can use a nifty program called usbdeview to help assist in your troubleshooting and potentially remove old devices.  BTW, what emulators are detecting your controller as player 2? 

In my set up, I actually use a bluetooth adapter and connect a DS4 controller to it instead of connecting to the Shield's bluetooth.  Steam is not installed on my Shield or PC....I just rely on nVidia's gamestream service to stream my desktop.   When I connect to my Windows PC without a controller and open up device manager, I see a Xbox360 Controller for Windows thats mapped to the Shield (has location NVVHCI Enumerator within its properties....dont disable/uninstall this or your Shield may not connected back up to your PC).  When I connect my DS4 controller via bluetooth, I see another instance of Xbox360 Controller for Windows thats mapped to SCP Virtual (its the virtualhere driver).

As far as renaming the rxgamepadinput.dll, I renamed not only this file, but the rxgamepadremapping.dll and rxnvgamepad.dll.  There are two locations where these files reside (Program Files and Program Files x86).  I believe this just disables the nVidia controller from connecting in your stream session I believe.  You will need to reboot after renaming the file(s).

Hope this helps!

Thanks Iggy (Ignasius?), I'll try to reply to each of your points. 

-My Xbox 360 controller connects to the Xbox USB receiver, which plugs into the Sheild.

-After each troubleshooting step, I reboot the computer.  No progress thus far.

-it's not emulators that is detecting it as player 2, it's the center circle on the controller. 

-Interestingly, before I connect virtualhere, the controller shows player 1.  When virtual here connects, it swaps to player 2.

-I tried removing the files you mentioned, rebooted, no avail.

-I'll try that program you mentioned too see what's going on.

-I do have steam

-I've tried reinstalling the controllers

I'll try more as I have time

NP.....when you troubleshoot, try to connect your Shield to your PC and don't connect your controller to your Bluetooth.  Then use usbdeview/device manager to see what you have listed under XBox360 Controller for Windows in device manager.  Like I mentioned before, you will see one using NVVHCI.....this shouldn't take up a usbslot (at least that I saw in usbdeview).  Hope you are able to get it figured out!

Edited by iggy

• 4 weeks later...

So I finally did some more trouble shooting.  What I figured out was that I needed to get the virtual here software connected up between the PC and the shield first.  Then stream to the shield.   Works just fine then. So happy to get this going. 

I'm now working in the Wii controller.  Got it working sometimes.  Connecting Bluetooth devices is always annoying.

Anyways, I just wanted to update the thread so someone else could benefit, and to thank you for your help!

• 1 month later...

Coming back around to this. 

For several reasons, I've decided that the DS4 controller is better.  Thanks for turning me onto the idea.

- Bluetooth dongle is smaller for the Shield, making for less things to move around with it

- Motion controls for the CEMU

However, I'm running into a lot of issues with synchronization.  Using the program you mentioned, Virtual Here, I'm eventually able to add the DS4 as a new device.  However in order to get it to work the next day, I have to re-add it again to get it to show up in the DS4Windows app.  Sometimes I have to reboot to get the Player 1 slot.  Seems like a lot of the same issues I had with the Xbox controller.  Is it seamless for you, or do you just live with some of these same issues?  Do you think it might be down to the make/model of the Bluetooth dongle you're using?

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the late reply....I've only had to add the DS4 controllers just once in the DS4 windows application and they stick (even through host PC reboots).  ( I automatically launch virtual here and DS4 Windows apps when PC boots).  The controller order is pretty much the same.... sometimes I have to reboot the PC but it's not often.  The PC recognizes controller slot 1 as my Nvidia remote (xinput device), slot 2 is my first DS4 controller (xinput device), and slot 3 is my second DS4 controller (xinput device.

This is the Bluetooth adapter I'm using: 

https://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Bluetooth-Adapter-Raspberry-Compatible/dp/B009ZIILLI/ref=mp_s_a_1_1_sspa?crid=1JG5P2G4UUJ6D&keywords=plugable+usb+bluetooth+4.0+low+energy+micro+adapter&qid=1554387314&s=gateway&sprefix=pluggabble+usb+&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1

Hope that helps

Edited by iggy