LaunchBox Community Forums

DOS Games - Can't Find CD

OmegaWeaponX

Hey all - hoping someone could help me as I've tried to look around for a solution on this but nothing has worked yet.

I'm attempting to play a few older DOS/Windows games like Warcraft, 7th Guest, etc, and I constantly am getting the "Please Insert CD" error message in the game.  However, I have the ISO of the game set as an auto mount for Drive D in the LaunchBox GUI.  I've attempted a few funny things like load the ISO first then load the executable, but this also doesn't work.  Is there an easy workaround for this?  Why is the "Mounts" feature not picking up a CD in the drive?  Is D: the right letter?  Do we need a supporting DosBox script at startup?  Thanks!
image.thumb.png.ada50e6882eba91134d6ebe00d9060f1.png
image.thumb.png.87eb3bf15e6d4b32dbfbcb1128e91a53.png

Everything looks right, and D is normally the correct drive letter for CD's but it depends on the copies of the games you've got and how they were configured, they may have been set to use E

For Warcraft look in the folder and edit path.war with a normal text editor and you can see what drive it expects the CD to be on. For 7th Guest check your groovie.ini

39 minutes ago, Belgarath said:

Everything looks right, and D is normally the correct drive letter for CD's but it depends on the copies of the games you've got and how they were configured, they may have been set to use E

Nope its set to D.  This is the contents:

D:\

I'm just super confused!

Nope I'm not left at the prompt.  It does run, but you can't get past the intro screen because its asking for the CD

Here's another possible related question - When I tried to install the game directly from the ISO, when attempting to install, I do get a DOSBOX crash here:
image.thumb.png.375a666930ed909169b80d1cc26b2d7f.pngI simply copied the iso contents to install it, but perhaps it needs to install it directly from the ISO for some reason?  Why is this failing?

Ya I did that, but it still exists out prematurely.  Probably doesn't work during install.  

Any other thoughts?  I'm thinking add a custom mount somehow but unsure the best syntax for the LaunchBox gui

Also I tried to do this as manual as I can without just going into Dosbox, but I noticed when mounted, the file formats are missing.  Is the auto mount somehow the wrong format?  Have you seen this?  

image.thumb.png.37651e0f9d18133c2e8fa03c110ff6ff.png

Edited by OmegaWeaponX

The image isn't bad, but I was able to circumvent this by doing a couple of funky things.

1. Run Dosbox manually
  2. Mount Warcraft folder w/ISO in it
  3. IMG mount the iso
  4. Install it that way
  5. Add it manually to Launchbox
  6. Add the ISO mount again to D

And then it magically works.  But bugs I found were:

1. Trying to install it via the Launchbox GUI for DOSBOX failed everytime for the iso.  Its trying to run install but the command fails. 
  2. If you tried to export out the iso and install, then add the ISO, it just doesn't recognize the drive.

So this just looks to be an issue with the auto-install Launchbox is trying to do.  One other note that might be an issue, I noticed now a program in Launchbox called "Auto Hotkey" keeps trying to run and fails at "Error Line 2 - cd D:" but its just a popup then goes away.  I have no idea where this config is picking up from though?