LaunchBox Community Forums

"A directory could not be created" crash

HourEleven

All of my roms are on my server, with Launchbox running on my local machine.  Windows had a super annoying issue where it wouldn't auto-reconnect to the server when it was mounted as a network drive so I just said screw it and made it a Network Place which windows decided to be cool with.  Now, when I try and go to "Manage Platforms" in Launchbox to reassign the folders, I get a popup saying "A directory could not be created: (old network drive location for my amiga games)" then a crash to desktop.  Is there a way to change the default folder assignments for platforms in a file outside the application?  If there isn't, is there a easy way to port over the metadata to a clean install so it doesn't have redownload images (and have me clean up metadata again) for all 13k roms?

Got it.  Just in case anyone else runs into the problem, you can open the xml in a text editor (I used notepad++) and do a find/replace but you need to do both locations to stop the crash when opening the platforms menu:

/Data/platforms.xml

&&

/Data/Platforms/ (specific_system_name).xml

• Like 1

• 4 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
On 3/30/2024 at 7:20 AM, Briantodd said:

Did anyone figure out what exactly to do with the .xml file that is referenced above to address the “directory could not be created “ error?

4 hours ago, RawDogga said:

I'd love to understand the original post. This still plaguing me.

user uses directory path "ABC" for some path or paths regarding one or more platform

but then they changed that path within Windows, so it would now be "XYZ"

LB is still looking for directory "ABC" and will crash when you try to do something that uses this "ABC" path still, like editing a platform because "ABC" no longer exists (refer to last point, it was changed to "XYZ")

I have same issue due to using external disks. If I forget to connect one of them and I try to edit a platform that uses paths to an external disk that isn't connected the program will crash. I keep TV shows and movies on a disk given drive letter M: .....for example "M:\TV Shows\" is listed as the "Games" directory for my "TV Shows" platform, if it cannot be found due to the disk not being connected when I try to edit the TV Shows platform...boom....crash! The way I try to get around this is to change this "Games" directory for this platform to some relative path such as \LaunchBox. This way the crash will not happen if I forgot to connect the disk prior to making some edit. Problem is anytime I import new content the Games directory automatically updates to the directory where I imported those files from....which is going to be the external disk. So, I have to remember to change this path after anytime I import new files for this platform from that disk.

The issue is silly. I get an error should pop up, but the program shouldn't have to crash. The program should instead fail "gracefully" with a standard error prompt stating the directory could not be found and the edit could not be saved as a result. Though, this suggestion would only fix the crashing. Users would still be stuck having to edit the non-existent path to a path that actually exists through the relevant XML file(s). So, going one step further, when said error appears it would need to prompt users "Would you like to update the path?" and then we can select Y/N depending on if we wanted to update it or not. If yes, then we can select the new path and problem solved! If no, problem continues but there could be some reason a user does not want to update the path so I think giving the option would still be important.

Back to your question though. Since the OP apparently could not (or just didn't want to) change their "XYZ" path back to "ABC" within Windows they would consistently crash in LB. So, since they cannot get to the proper window to edit this within LB, the only way to edit this would be through the actual data file, which for their issue the path(s) were in

/Data/platforms.xml

and

/Data/Platforms/ (specific_system_name).xml

so you folks need to change or create the path(s) in Windows to what LB is expecting, or edit the path(s) to what LB is looking for manually through the XML file(s)

On 3/19/2023 at 1:28 AM, Johnmwalker90 said:

Can someone explain this better I don’t have a network but this is happening to me change the xml then it just finds another system that can’t find a directory

that means you have the issue on multiple platforms. so, keep editing them until they are all fixed!