LaunchBox Community Forums

Understanding Videos

Towndrunk

I am new to LaunchBox, and the emulation scene, but I'm picking things up pretty quick.  I have ran into a problem here recently, and I don't understand why things are the way they are.  Once I understand, I think I I will be able to resolve my issue.

I have an EmuMovies account and have been getting all the game videos for the ROMs I have.  When I was setting up BigBox for an arcade machine I want to build, I noticed that one of the videos for a ROM I had was playing the wrong video.  The question I have is what is the difference between the videos stored in the Platform folders in the Video folder, compared to the Theme folder in the same location?

I looked at my platform, and the video location is set to Videos\Nintendo Entertainment System, and the video for the ROM in question is in that folder.  However when I go to the ROM, and look at the Video Path it is set to Videos\Nintendo Entertainment System\Theme\xxx.mp4.  I looked in that folder and the video is not there, but it is up one directory.  I don't know what the difference is between the two, and why one is "Platform"\Video while the others are in "Platform"\Video\Theme.  I looked at a few different ROMs and they are sort of hit/miss, with some being in the root, and others in the Theme folder.  I'm not sure why, but this causes some of the game videos to be wrong during the preview when I'm using BigBox.  Any Ideas?

6 minutes ago, Towndrunk said:

I am new to LaunchBox, and the emulation scene, but I'm picking things up pretty quick.  I have ran into a problem here recently, and I don't understand why things are the way they are.  Once I understand, I think I I will be able to resolve my issue.

I have an EmuMovies account and have been getting all the game videos for the ROMs I have.  When I was setting up BigBox for an arcade machine I want to build, I noticed that one of the videos for a ROM I had was playing the wrong video.  The question I have is what is the difference between the videos stored in the Platform folders in the Video folder, compared to the Theme folder in the same location?

I looked at my platform, and the video location is set to Videos\Nintendo Entertainment System, and the video for the ROM in question is in that folder.  However when I go to the ROM, and look at the Video Path it is set to Videos\Nintendo Entertainment System\Theme\xxx.mp4.  I looked in that folder and the video is not there, but it is up one directory.  I don't know what the difference is between the two, and why one is "Platform"\Video while the others are in "Platform"\Video\Theme.  I looked at a few different ROMs and they are sort of hit/miss, with some being in the root, and others in the Theme folder.  I'm not sure why, but this causes some of the game videos to be wrong during the preview when I'm using BigBox.  Any Ideas?

There is a option in Bigbox to prefer the "Theme" video so i guess that is on in your setup. Theme videos are usually videos with logos and artwork and such as well as the smaller game video. Its up to you which you prefer and as i say there is a toggle in Bigbox for it.

Thank you!!  I keep forgetting that the two are separate in many ways, and changes in one do not carry across to the other.  I made a change in LaunchBox to have it go to the correct video in the Platform folder and it didn't translate over to BigBox, so I need to go there and make the change as well.  I will look for the option now.  Thanks for the help.

1 hour ago, Towndrunk said:

I appreciate the help.  That is what was causing the issue.  I had "Prioritize Game Theme Videos" enabled under the Videos option in BigBox.

Yeah generally the "theme" game videos are limited to MAME on emumovies, but there are a few on the Launchbox database also, probably less than 20 but there are some console ones there, like mario 3 on nes, but unless you unchecked the theme box for Launchbox and Emumovies in the import wizard they get downloaded. Personally i'm not a fan of them so just uncheck those boxes.

1 hour ago, Towndrunk said:

I appreciate the help.  That is what was causing the issue.  I had "Prioritize Game Theme Videos" enabled under the Videos option in BigBox.

Also its done this way so that you can have the standard and the theme video in your setup, and you have the control over what you see, rather than them all being lumped together and you just getting what Launchbox/Bigbox decides to give you.

2 hours ago, Towndrunk said:

Thank you!!  I keep forgetting that the two are separate in many ways, and changes in one do not carry across to the other.  I made a change in LaunchBox to have it go to the correct video in the Platform folder and it didn't translate over to BigBox, so I need to go there and make the change as well.  I will look for the option now.  Thanks for the help.

Sorry me again :) . They are separate in some ways but those ways are in the look and feel of them only. They are one and the same when it comes to the actual platforms and games as they both use the exact same data, but the look and feel can be independent due to the different nature of the two UI's, so it makes no sense for some options in Launchbox to carry over to Bigbox as they look very different and serve different purposes.