LaunchBox Community Forums

Demul Sound Issues

Warped Polygon

So I've been trying to get Demul to run correctly. It runs ok, but the sound is distorted like a youtube video from 2008, or like its drunk. It is a documented issue.

I made sure to set my graphics card to run on full performance with the demul.exe and still have the issue. I had read this was the fix as apparently windows doesn't think Demul needs a much as it does.

I'm on the most recent version. Using cdi. My specs are AMD 8350 - 2GB GTX Nvidia - 16gb DDR3. I would have thought this is enough to run it. Checking the usage through task manager shows hardly anything being used on the CPU or GPU. Reicast is working fine. 

The only other thing I can think is I dont have a driver or runtime or I have not set my graphics card to use demul correctly?? 

Any help greatly appreciated. 

• 2 years later...

Hi,

That has to be more than enough to run Demul. A few years back I used to run Demul without any sound issues at all, be it Naomi, Atomiswave, or Naomi 2, and I would run it with a PC that had much lower specs than the one I'm currently using for my emulation endeavors. My current PC for emulation has just an Intel Core Quad Q6600 @ 2,40GHz, 8 GB RAM, and an AMD Radeon HD 5700 series, and I still get to play pretty much everything I want, either in 1080p or 720p. Only Tekken 7 Fated Retribution runs really slowly, and some parts in some Wii games. Most of PS2 games are a no-go though. Even GTA3 runs like a slide show, lol

I just finished playing me some VF Evolution with Demul, and I usually don't play Naomi 2 games as, as far as I know Demul is the only emulator capable of emulating Naomi 2, and I also get those pesky sound issues everyone talks about and seemingly nobody knows what to do about, that I didn't get back in the day (on much less capable hardware, I'm saying it again)

Something must have changed in the way that emulator works, I don't know. But just a couple minutes ago I managed to diminish the frequency of those sound issues somewhat by enabling VSync, FYI. I've left the resolution on native (640x480), for the moment I least. It's probably better to leave it this way until I manage to resolve this distorted sound issue.

What's driving me mad is that, as soon as I switch to window mode, the sound becomes normal... Go figure.

If anyone here on Launchbox has a better idea as to how to tackle this problem, I can't wait to hear it.

Edited by vince16