LaunchBox Community Forums

ScummVM

Tomkun

Since ScummVM is going to be updated to version 2.1.0 soon, I'm going through and updating the database. However, I cannot edit the Alternate Name for "Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars". I keep getting "error occured" after I click submit. For the record, I'm just trying to add the United States to the "Circle of Blood" alternate name.

Also, I submitted a bunch of edits last night, which were all accepted - however, one moderator has rejected most of my edits. Although they were outvoted, I'd still like to know their reasoning so I can see if some sort of compromise or solution can be found.

Thanks

Edit:

Just one more thing...  Is there a consensus about what to do with the Sierra SCI updates of various games? Should they be treated as alternate versions (as they are in ScummVM) or as whole new games in their own right? My personal belief is that they should be treated as alternate versions, but I'm prepared to be convinced otherwise. Thoughts?

Edited by Tomkun

OK, as there has been no reply to this yet, I am going to proceed along the following lines. I've given this a great deal of thought and I hope this is the best way forward.

As ScummVM is not technically a "platform" in its own right, there are a huge number of versions of games. Generally speaking, with other platforms in LaunchBox, game versions are merged. I think we should follow the same approach here and try to keep the number of individual games to a minimum. There is a exception to this, however. Some games were re-released as "enhanced" versions much later on meaning although technically the same game in name and story, I think they are different enough to warrant their own entry in the database.

It seems the developers of ScummVM have a similar philosophy, grouping their games by the engine they used, rather than the specific game version. See here.

Thus, all versions of Maniac Mansion should be merged, while the Sierra SCI remakes of their older AGI games should get separate database entries.

I hope I've explained myself well enough. If you have any thoughts or comments, please chime in.