LaunchBox Community Forums

Coin slot acceptor op for other systems than Arcade

haleksander

I've built an bartop arcade and placed it in my office running bigbox. Now and then, my coworkers do some quick rounds of either Mario Kart GC or perhaps a arcade'y Steam game, as this thing is set up to play most consoles.
My question: since it doesn't exclusively play arcade games, where you need to "insert coin" to play, is there some way to kind of implement the need to insert a coin to play ie. Super Mario World?  I realize this might be somewhat naive, but i just wanted to check if there are some suggestions.

One Bigbox-feature suggestion (which might ruin the "insert coin"-concept in arcade games) is a "play timer" at the front-end level which would "unlock" the games. 
When the "play timer" runs out, the game pauses and an overlay (using similar assets as the startup and pause screens) shows "insert coin to play" or "continue?" with a timer that runs out before exiting back to Bigbox and locking the games. The "insert coin"-prompt could either come after selecting a game, or perhaps an "insert coin"-overlay could desaturates/dims the Bigbox game selection. User-adjustable overlays/prompts/lock screens

Or perhaps there is some third-party "always on top"-app that might do something similar?

Btw. Does this coin acceptor seem ok ?
https://www.digitalimpuls.no/diverse/142741/coin-acceptor--programmable-4-coin-type-myntmål-diam-15-29mm-bredde-12-38mm