LaunchBox Community Forums

import mame/FBNeo Roms and export only working roms

Sanctus

Hi.

I would like to separate all working mame and fbneo roms in another folder which i did with launchbox, but i have a doubt in the process...

Steps i gave:

I imported FBNeo latest romset and later, also mame 0.219 romset.

I selected to import just the working roms.

After that, we are left with around 1/4 of roms.

Then I saw a nice video on youtube that describes how to select all working roms and export/copy them to a new folder with LaunchBox options. Which i did.

Now the problem is, Launchbox gave me a message that there are files/roms that wouldn't be copied. Why?

How do i get all of those files or at least i can get a list of them?

I explain...

this procedure gave me the aquajackU.zip (55KB) but the LaunchBox didn't get the aquajack.zip (2,4MB main game).

Now the rom isn't played without the aquajack.zip (main game).

Thanks for your time!

This isn't a direct answer to your question, but I'll cover the way I've been doing FBNeo roms is to use ClrMamePro to rebuild the rom set, based on the latest dat files, which will give you a working-only romset for FBNeo.  Once you have that romset rebuilt, you can them import all those roms into LB and not worry about LB's db trying to determine which roms are working at this time or not.  I'm not 100% sure if LB/BB knows which roms are working or not for FBA, as I think it uses Mame dat files to determine working/non-working, and Mame working roms are not the same as FBA working roms (ie. FBA might have roms that work, and those don't in Mame, and vice versa).  The following URL is a good source of info on how to re-built a current FBNeo rom set using ClrMamePro.

https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/Validating,-Rebuilding,-and-Filtering-ROM-Collections

Luckilly a complete FBNeo romset is quite tiny compared to a full Mame rom set, so doing this doesn't take up tons of space.

I know this doesn't directly answer your question, and maybe someone else will post that answer for your direct question... but maybe this will help you anyway :)

@CDBlue, thanks! I am already rebuilding the complete Finalburn Neo Romset to a new "non-merged" set, this will take long.

As i understand, this process will only add each parent rom to each of their clones, making all roms/zips "work" independently. But not all will work (emulators limitation right?).

So, if i repeat the LB import process with this full non-merged set (add roms, exclude non working roms) i'll have a full playable romset.

3 hours ago, CDBlue said:

I'm not 100% sure if LB/BB knows which roms are working or not for FBA, as I think it uses Mame dat files to determine working/non-working, and Mame working roms are not the same as FBA working roms (ie. FBA might have roms that work, and those don't in Mame, and vice versa). 

I would like to know that too, what dat files does LB uses for FBNeo?

Correct.  If you use the latest dat file. with a full romset of FBNeo, it will rebuilt only the roms (parents and clones) that are working with the latest version of FBNeo.  You can them import the newly created roms and they should all be working at that point in time.  FYI, I usually also use the option to merge the bios into each file... they will work without that, but then you need to make sure that you have the bios files in your rom directory.  Since it doesn't add much space, and it's the recommended way for the retroarch core to use the rom files, that's how I always rebuild my FBNeo romsets.

Edited by CDBlue

17 hours ago, CDBlue said:

Correct.  If you use the latest dat file. with a full romset of FBNeo, it will rebuilt only the roms (parents and clones) that are working with the latest version of FBNeo.  You can them import the newly created roms and they should all be working at that point in time.  FYI, I usually also use the option to merge the bios into each file... they will work without that, but then you need to make sure that you have the bios files in your rom directory.  Since it doesn't add much space, and it's the recommended way for the retroarch core to use the rom files, that's how I always rebuild my FBNeo romsets.

Ok. It finished doing that to fbneo romset, i now have a fbneo non-merged romset.

Now i want to transform a mame 0.219 (merged) romset to a non-merged romset.

However, as i understood, inside clrmamepro, instead of a mame dat file, i can create a mame profile selecting the mame 0.219 emulator exe instead of a dat file right?

Then, we go to rebuilder option, we select a destination folder (for the new romset), and the original mame 0.219 merged set folder as source, we select "non-merged sets" option, go to the "Advanced"  and uncheck "separate bios sets", click "rebuild" and it will create a mame 0.219 full non-merged set right?

As for CHDs, before doing all this, the ideal would be to have all the Chds folders (and it's decompressed chd's) where the mame 0.219 romset is.

(However, I don't have the mame 0.219 chds, so, i know that this "rebuild" will always be incomplete)

Edited by Sanctus

2 minutes ago, CDBlue said:

Sorry, someone else will have to assist with that part.  I've never done a mame set as I usually just download an already built non-merged set for the version of mame that I'm running.... so no need to rebuilt, etc.

And you're right, it's easier to download and let who knows work on this :)  (i downloaded now a mame 0.219 non-merged) Thanks for your fast responses! All the best!