LaunchBox Community Forums

Feature request for saving space - Downloading Media

fab1o

4 hours ago, Retro808 said:

You can actually accomplish what you need in this scenario easily.

1. Import the roms and select 3D box for all games.

2. Once import/download is complete run the audit option on the platform.

3. Sort the 3D box column so you can see all games missing 3D box.

4. Highlight only those games then run the media wizard on only those games and select Box-Front. Now the wizard will only download box fronts on those games you selected that were missing 3D Box images.

I know you are making recommendations, but there is an existing way to do what you want.

Thanks! That really helps and yes, it's indeed what I wanted to do. Thanks a lot.

What about an easy way to eliminate duplicated Images?

I thought about number 7 here: https://bitbucket.org/jasondavidcarr/launchbox/issues/5222/feature-request-for-saving-space-download but it would be better to do it in the UI

But, there is something odd with the Auditing tool. For 1 game, it tells me that I have 3 box images, two 3D box images, 4 cart images, four 3D cart images. When I click on Edit, I odn't see any of those numbers. And in my File Explorer, also I don't have that many images. The Auditing tool is counting images wrong. I have only 1 of each. The Edit a game screen is correct, the Auditing is wrong. 

If Launchbox did the following below, it would be easier to eliminate dup images:

4 hours ago, fab1o said:

I think the regions folder could safely be removed. Add the region to the name. ie: Alien Storm-EU-01.png, Alien Storm-NA-01.png, Alien Storm-NA-02.png... and then, leave them all in the same image type folder.

That way would be easier to eliminate dups in File Explorer.

An even better way would be always create a folder for each game, and include all the images of that game into an Images subfolder for each game (no matter what type it is) (eliminting the general Images folder alltogether) The option already exists in the import section but it doesn't do much with it. Then if a user wants all the images into 1 single folder, for some reason, include an option in Launchbox to export all the images of all selected games to a zip file or to a selected folder.

Edited by fab1o

13 minutes ago, fab1o said:

But, there is something odd with the Auditing tool. For 1 game, it tells me that I have 3 box images, two 3D box images, 4 cart images, four 3D cart images. When I click on Edit, I odn't see any of those numbers. And in my File Explorer, also I don't have that many images. The Auditing tool is counting images wrong. I have only 1 of each. The Edit a game screen is correct, the Auditing is wrong. 

If Launchbox did the following below, it would be easier to eliminate dup images:

If you have image priorities set for those images it is counting them. I actually already mentioned this to the team.

As far as an easy way to mass delete duplicates that is relative to the user. To me it is easier to open Windows folder and visually look at all images in one pane and ctrl click the dups to delete. Sitting in a UI single game edit screen and deleting dups then going to the next games is too slow for me.

The media clean up tool is supposed to delete duplicates. Two images may look visually the same but can be different in the most minor of ways. So it matches checksums to confirm the file is a dup or not.

Here's what I'm currently doing to easily eliminate dup images, maybe it would be helpful for others. 

Example case: I have a game with two 3D box arts that was downloaded by Launchbox from Launchbox database and from Emumovies. The box art images are exactly the same, and sometimes they are different but are for the same game.

1) Go to the images folder in File Explorer. Open a type, say "Box - 3D"

2) Open each Region, and copy all files. Ctrl+A, Ctrl+C

3) Go back one folder level (to the "Images\Platform" folder),  paste all files in there and select Skip. (I select skip because a) I noticed the games in the region folder are larger and I want to save space, b) I prefer a general image than a specific region image in case they don't match, and I'm fine with it)

4) Delete the region folder.

Do that for each  region for each image type.

Keep in mind I usually only have one region per game. So this works well for me.

Edited by fab1o