LaunchBox Community Forums

Help Understanding ROM Dependencies

Corgan

I downloaded a set of "non-merged" v0.193 (latest I could find).  I specifically sought out non-merged because I was under the impression that each game zip file contained all of the files needed to run that game.  However, I didn't want a library of thousands of games so I carefully narrowed the list down to about 1000.  Everything works fine except for a few games that I've noticed so far.  For example X-men 4 player (rom "xmen") doesn't work.  Mame gives me an error saying it's missing three files:

065-eba04.10d

065-eba05.10f

xmen_eba.nv

Doing some searching online I found that those files are found in the "xmene" zip file.  I checked and indeed those files are in there.  So I copied that zip file into my library folder and tried again in Mame and it gives me the same error.  I don't understand anymore.  Why aren't those files included in the "xmen" zip file?  Why doesn't putting the "xmene" file into the library fix the issue?  I'm using X-men as an example, but I'd like to find a solution for all games with a similar issue.  Is there anyway to have Mame or Launchbox give me a list of all broken games?

Edited by Corgan

Are you using the correct mame version for that set as using the incorrect mame version for the rom set you have will cause issues. Also as im sure you are aware, that set is like 3 years old now, lots of changes and advancements have been made in mame since that release.

and just search for mame 0.221 roms, i hear the archive site is pretty good :)

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, MadK9 said:

Are you using the correct mame version for that set as using the incorrect mame version for the rom set you have will cause issues. Also as im sure you are aware, that set is like 3 years old now, lots of changes and advancements have been made in mame since that release.

and just search for mame 0.221 roms, i hear the archive site is pretty good :)

I am not using the same version of mame, I am using the latest (v.221).  Thank you, I'll try using the 0.193 version.

As far as the rom set, I could only find merged versions of 0.221...

Edited by Corgan

2 minutes ago, Corgan said:

I am not using the same version of mame, I am using the latest (v.221). 

Yep that would do it, roms change and evolve a lot in mame each month, so using the current mame with a 3 year old rom set will have a lot of issues. Mame's exe keeps its own db and has games marked as working/nonworking, and using a set that old you could be seeing games marked as working in the ui, but the games may not have be working that far back, so that set has damaged roms/files that the new mame is checking against and ofc can't find the files it expects.

1 hour ago, MadK9 said:

Yep that would do it, roms change and evolve a lot in mame each month, so using the current mame with a 3 year old rom set will have a lot of issues. Mame's exe keeps its own db and has games marked as working/nonworking, and using a set that old you could be seeing games marked as working in the ui, but the games may not have be working that far back, so that set has damaged roms/files that the new mame is checking against and ofc can't find the files it expects.

That's exactly what I'm seeing in the UI.  Was wondering about that too.  Thanks!