LaunchBox Community Forums

Decided to code my first ever arcade game during lockdown.. Presenting -- XX Blast!

Retro Arcader

Hey Guys!

Hope you are all keeping well during the zombie apocalypse!   I'm over in the UK and was placed on furlough in December.  This has meant I've had a lot of free time on my hands.  Obviously I've been gaming a lot on my bartop.  Being a child of the 70s I love playing the old shooters like 1942, Galaga, Star Force, Twin Cobra etc... Especially with Launchbox supporting shared high-scores.  It's definitely helped keep me sane.

Having a very casual interest in coding I thought it would be fun to try and make my own game but in the style of the 80s games.  So thats what I did...  At first my intention was to only have it on my own machine so that I would have something truly unique but after letting a few people see it I've been persuaded to share it. 

The games called XX Blast and its a vertical shooter!  It's written using Godot and took me about a month to make.  It runs on Windows and shouldn't need too powerful a computer (although I haven't got the machines to test this).  It's certainly not taxing my i5-6600.  Below are some screen shots...  

Features include...

• Free Windows game.
  • Can easily be added to LaunchBox/Big Box
  • Classic 80s vertical top-down view in 3:4 format..
  • Built for modern widescreen displays and includes a built in bezel.
  • Looks great on arcade machines.
  • Configurable inputs to map to arcade sticks/buttons.
  • Locally saved high scores (If you make a donation, I have a version that shares with my own online server)
  • 400 levels.
  • Proper arcade credits system
  • Intense nostalgia feels!

It is my first game so don't expect it to be perfect but I have worked hard to make it feel polished and nice to play.  On my system it runs fast and smooth.  I would love it if you guys checked it out.

Constructive feedback always welcome...

You can find it on itch.io at https://sparkysoft.itch.io/xx-blast

Thanks for reading!

Screenshot 2021-03-29 15-03-05 (3).png

Screenshot 2021-03-29 15-03-37 (2).png

Screenshot 2021-03-29 15-05-24.png

Screenshot 2021-03-29 15-05-33.png

Screenshot 2021-03-29 15-10-27.png

Screenshot 2021-03-29 15-10-43.png

Screenshot 2021-03-29 15-11-01.png

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Mr.Laor said:

Way to go!  Looks great!  I wish I was as motivated during lockdown

Thanks! Yeah it’s super hard to be motivated when there’s literally nothing to do. Must admit I’ve lost a bit of the motivation now I’ve finished. Need to think up a new project but probably left it too late as I’ll be back in work in a few weeks!  But I can cross one off the bucket list!