LaunchBox Community Forums

Source for "Region" column in LaunchBox data for MAME

giotte

Does anyone know how the "Region" column in the Mame.xml metadata is populated?

To be clear, I'm not referring to the LB Games Database per se; rather, I'm asking about the specific data for MAME games contained in the MAME.xml file (located in the LaunchBox\Metadata\MAME.xml or from https://gamesdb.launchbox-app.com/Metadata.zip).

That file contains a bunch of info specific to arcade / MAME games. From what I can see, almost all the info comes from either:

1. MAME itself (i.e., by running "mame.exe -listxml"), or
  2. From the support files provided by ProgettoSnaps (https://www.progettosnaps.net/support/). For example, the "Genre" column in the LB MAME.xml file corresponds exactly with the "category.ini" file from Progetto

However, I can't figure out where the "Region" column data comes from. MAME doesn't seem to track this, and I can't find any regional information in the Progetto files.

As an example, the arcade game "Jolly Card" has 17 versions with 5 different regions noted: Germany, Italy, North America, World, and NULL / (blank). Part of me wonders if the regions are just inferred by parsing the "Version" info (e.g., "Jolly Card (German, set 1)" is assigned to the "Germany" region). But I can't quite figure out the logic. The "Jolly Card (German, Fun World, bootleg)" game is assigned to "World" instead of Germany (maybe because the "Fun World" term is getting precedence?). Or the "Jolly Card (Croatian, set 1)" is assigned to no region. And then the "Jolly Card (3x3 deal)" game is assigned to North America, even though there's no region info in the game name.

So, to summarize: does anyone have insight into how the Region column is obtained? Is it parsed from the game name itself, or is there some 3rd-party source that is being used?

Thanks.