LaunchBox Community Forums

System ROMs within a MAME RomSet

Shilo

Hello everyone,

I have a question about MAME RomSets and the systems that they contain. Not MAME itself, but the actual RomSet.
Specifically, which "System Roms" are included within a Full MAME RomSet?

I know the RomSets contain arcade games, but I'm looking for more specific information for breakdown within LaunchBox. (not just the games MAME can run)
For Example, I know it contains at least the following:
Neo-Geo
Sammy Atomiswave
Sega NAOMI

I think Sega Hikaru too?

Which systems make up a Full RomSet? (I have a feeling there are more.)

Thanks!

You may want to download ClrMamePRo and using it you can go into the set information and see all the systems MAME supports. There are lots and many that don't work with MAME yet.

Attached is a sample. 

Outside of Neo-Geo, a lot of the more popular other systems are usually better supported by other emulators. There are some scripts on the forums to grab the roms for those systems from your MAME set and place in a different folder.

From here there are several options on how you want to important them. You can import has separate platforms. You can import them as Arcade platform but set to use a different emulator. Afterward you can use auto-populated playlist to create those systems for you. (Using Platform category view)

Screenshot 2021-10-11 115319.png

Here is my set up, all arcade roms in Arcade platform, but playlists that are auto populated for specific systems.

list.png

auto.png

Edited by Headrush69
Add more info

You configured Arcade the same way that I trying...
The RomSet broken down by system and not just lumped into a giant grouping called Arcade or MAME.

I was able to get a list of Atomiswave files and created a system for it using my existing RomSet before my posting. (Running on RetroArch Flycast core)
Dolphin Blue is awesome, It's Metal Slug on a Dolphin!

I am familiar with ClrMamePRo. been using it for a while to keep my RomSet updated/current every month.
I'm at the current 0.236

I've already imported the Full RomSet (as Arcade for now).
You're saying use CLR to identify the systems contained, and then create the playlists based on that? (just confirming)
[Your screenshots help out a lot for understanding! :)]

Thanks a lot Headrush69.  You're definitely pointed me in the right direction!

PS. For any others that my be reading...
Headrush69 is right! There are so many roms in a Full MAME RomSet, and MAME cannot run them all, but OTHER emulators can.
Why take up all that diskspace for a Full set, if you're not going to be using it all.
The only catch that I found, is to not use a Split Set. I tried at first but the game.zip contents were incomplete for non-mame emulators. I personally use a Non-Merged set now.

Thanks again Headrush69!

29 minutes ago, Shilo said:

You configured Arcade the same way that I trying...
The RomSet broken down by system and not just lumped into a giant grouping called Arcade or MAME.

I have it both ways, included in all games and broken down by system. In LB, clicking just Arcade shows all games, but BB doesn't, so that's why I also have the All Games playlist. I do this as I know different arcade boards, but most people using my cabinet just know they are arcade titles and will look in there.

I am familiar with ClrMamePRo. been using it for a while to keep my RomSet updated/current every month.
I'm at the current 0.236

Same here but I do NOT use the full set with LB or BB.

I've already imported the Full RomSet (as Arcade for now).
You're saying use CLR to identify the systems contained, and then create the playlists based on that? (just confirming)
[Your screenshots help out a lot for understanding! :)]

Yes that is an option. It really depends how you want to organize your roms.  For the most part, the only real reason I separate some systems like Sega Naomi, Sammy Atomiswave, is because most of them use an emulator other than MAME. It's easier to work on them.

The only catch that I found, is to not use a Split Set. I tried at first but the game.zip contents were incomplete for non-mame emulators. I personally use a Non-Merged set now.

I have a text file that lists all the MAME roms I want. You can see from the screenshot posted earlier, I load that text file and select include BIOS and include devices and I create a non-merged MAME set of just the games I want that are self contained. Each MAME release, it's as simple as reloading that file in CLRMamePro and it will correct any any changes needed. (There are a few very times when this can break but simply looking at the set information and correcting and updating the text file fixes the issue)

Below is a sample from my game text file. You'll might notice I have things like a USA version of Title Fight, and 2 player versions of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle games, instead of the default 4 player. So when I update MAME, I always get these versions. I don't know if it's changed in the LB Full Mame Import tool, but previously it didn't remember if you had set different defaults for roms with multiple versions.

sample.png

Edited by Headrush69