LaunchBox Community Forums

Button mashing issue

Gildahl

I have the latest version of BigBox (12.6) on my arcade machine and am experiencing some serious issues with (1) theme music from a single game continuing on in the background, even after I've left that game's screen, (2) in some cases, clear logos on the game wheel become locked in place (though, curiously, I am still able to "turn" the wheel in an overlay layer); (3) black screens after a short while, and (3) the error below.  Note that I can recreate one or more of these effects time after time after a fresh load of BB and without ever launching any games...basically, just by playing around in the menus, and using an ordinary keyboard.  I'm using the CriticalZoneV2 Blue theme, but it seems to not be limited to that theme.  I have also duplicated it using both VLC and Windows Media Player options.

The cause seems to have the characteristics of a "button mashing" issue.  For example, if I go all the way into the game launch screen of a game  (the one with "Play" on it), I'll hear the theme music playing for the game as expected.  If I then quickly mash the esc button many times to get back to the platform picker screen, then often (but not always) the theme music for that particular game will get locked such that it now plays continuously over every other sound.  This is usually followed a short time later by either a black screen, the game wheel anomaly, or the error below. 

This was initially a very serious issue with my iPAC based control panel since this was happening constantly, even when avoiding deliberate mashing.  However, after applying debounce to the profile, it is behaving much better.  The thing is though, that this can still happen intermittently and with overexuberant users (i.e. kids), and I can duplicate this with an ordinary keyboard by deliberate button mashing...so there would still seem to be an internal issue here that should probably be investigated since not all users are calm adults and able to curb their mashing tendencies, hehe.

[edit] ...and it looks like similar restrictions should be placed on the play button, as it appears that pressing it multiple times quickly will attempt to launch multiple instances of an app...which can cause issues with some games/emulators/apps that aren't single-instance protected.

Here's the error:

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

App:     Big Box
Version: 12.6
Type:    System.NullReferenceException
Site:    Void RevertSpecification(System.Object, System.EventArgs)
Source:  BigBox

at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.BigBox.Controls.VideoControl.<>c__DisplayClass8_0.RevertSpecification(Object sender, EventArgs args)
   at System.Windows.EventRoute.InvokeHandlersImpl(Object source, RoutedEventArgs args, Boolean reRaised)
   at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEventImpl(DependencyObject sender, RoutedEventArgs args)
   at System.Windows.EventRoute.InvokeHandlersImpl(Object source, RoutedEventArgs args, Boolean reRaised)
   at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEventImpl(DependencyObject sender, RoutedEventArgs args)
   at System.Windows.BroadcastEventHelper.BroadcastEvent(DependencyObject root, RoutedEvent routedEvent)
   at System.Windows.BroadcastEventHelper.BroadcastLoadedEvent(Object root)
   at MS.Internal.LoadedOrUnloadedOperation.DoWork()
   at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.FireLoadedPendingCallbacks()
   at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.FireInvokeOnRenderCallbacks()
   at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.RenderMessageHandlerCore(Object resizedCompositionTarget)
   at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.RenderMessageHandler(Object resizedCompositionTarget)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)

Recent Log:

9:33:51 AM Exception

Edited by Gildahl