LaunchBox Community Forums

GameCube games are not launching through Launchbox?

JLU51306

I am running Android 11, and the latest release of both Dolphin and Launchbox for Android. Launchbox tells me that Dolphin Emu is installed, and I can open Dolphin through Launchbox, but when I try to launch a game, it rotates the screen to landscape for a second, crashes, and takes me back to Launchbox. I've tried manually putting Dolphin in via custom-emulator to no avail, and it launches into Dolphin directly if I don't put the AutoStartFile into the file path section but seeing as that's the means of booting the game... Curiously, the same issue occurs with the DIG frontend app as well. Games launch perfectly fine through Dolphin itself.

Any advice or troubleshooting tips are appreciated.

Hi @JLU51306. The problem is that either LaunchBox or DIG sends the path of the game in an incorrect format, that doesn't coincide with the path waited in Dolphin (same with AetherSX2). So, until this isn't solved by the devs (already talked with @Jason Carr about this, he's pretty kind 😄) we do not have anything to do right now. For Dolphin, at the moment you can create some shortcuts with Shortcut Maker and Solid Explorer (all on Play Store) with the following data, it's not as great as LaunchBox, but works pretty well:

1- On Solid Explorer, search for the game image, long touch to it, three dots, properties, three dots again, and copy path
2- On Shortcut Maker, select Applications and search for Dolphin Emulator

3- Once selected, you can edit name, icon, and intent. 
4- On the intent section, just select "Add extra" and fill it this way:

On KEY: AutoStartFile
On Value: paste the copied path and give the next format:

We have, for example, this path: /storage/emulated/0/games/wii/SM.iso
The Final Path must be this way: content://com.android.externalstorage.documents/tree/primary%3Agames%2Fwii/document/primary%3Agames%2Fwii%2FSM.iso

if you have spaces in the original path, you have to replace them with %20 and you have it. Hope this helps

PD: I'm not any kind of dev or worker, just a fan. Just in case 

Actually there is a work around to solve dolphin emulator problem. You should download older version of dolphin and play a game using the emulator not launch box. After that update dolphin to the latest version . Now it will work with launch box.this method is working only for dolphin and it is a temporary fix.

Hey all, as an update on this, I just released LaunchBox for Android 1.0-beta-2. Details are here:

However, it still does not seem to solve the issues with Dolphin. I believe Dolphin still needs to implement the new content URIs in order to solve the issue. I'll be attempting to reach out to the Dolphin development team here soon. If anyone has a good contact, please let me know.

For now though, the above workaround does work. It works because of Google's stupid design decisions lol. Permissions are allowed when you upgrade from an older version of the app, but not on a fresh install. Makes about as much sense as worshiping a fork.