LaunchBox Community Forums

Samba SMB share as game location for Android

Soop

I've set up a local SMB share for my device, but I'm having trouble accessing it via Launchbox.  My understanding was that Scoped Storage within the new framework would prevent access without the correct URI - but even with the URI I'm drawing a blank.  Is it a permissions thing?  Has anyone else acheived this successfully?  I can access the ROMs fine within the filemanager by the way, I just can't find a way to get there from Android

On 1/10/2022 at 7:54 AM, Soop said:

I've set up a local SMB share for my device, but I'm having trouble accessing it via Launchbox.  My understanding was that Scoped Storage within the new framework would prevent access without the correct URI - but even with the URI I'm drawing a blank.  Is it a permissions thing?  Has anyone else acheived this successfully?  I can access the ROMs fine within the filemanager by the way, I just can't find a way to get there from Android

What device are you running?

9 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

What device are you running?

The Fire HD 8 is the main thing I'm testing on.  I also have an HD10 and I'm looking at upgrading to the Samsung S21 in around a month.  I don't have root on the Fires, which is why I'm playing the waiting game!

• 1 month later...
On 1/17/2022 at 1:34 PM, Soop said:

The Fire HD 8 is the main thing I'm testing on.  I also have an HD10 and I'm looking at upgrading to the Samsung S21 in around a month.  I don't have root on the Fires, which is why I'm playing the waiting game!

Please let me know if the latest beta (version 1.1-beta-1) happens to fix this issue.

2 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Please let me know if the latest beta (version 1.1-beta-1) happens to fix this issue.

I have done a very deep dive on this, and essentially the issue is that the kernel of the ROM my phone runs (and by extension, many other ROMs) doesn't contain the cifs.ko module.  This is the module that you need to mount a share to the filesystem natively.

From here I see basically 2/3 options:

I can install a custom ROM like lineage that has the cifs.ko module

I can make my own module (not going to happen)

I can wait for someone else to do it.

I've gone for the 4th secret option, use Windows.

Honestly, it's been an interesting and thought provoking couple of weeks, and I've learned a lot, but I don't want to install a custom ROM on my phone.  I'll consider it on my Fire if and when it gets rooted, but essentially, all I'm missing now is that sweet spot where ROMs are large enough to take up a lot of space en mass, yet old enough to be loadable over an Internet share, so PS1 ish.

In the meantime, I essentially traded a Fire HD 10 2021 for a Surface Go 2, and it's so much easier to set up the Windows device, I can't see myself going back.  I still have the Fire HD 8, but idk, it's just the worst of all worlds now between my phone and the Go.

Let me know if you have any questions I can answer

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

@Soop Definitely don't blame you there. Windows is really still just miles ahead of Android on pretty much everything. And yeah, those Amazon tablets. While it's amazing that they're so cheap, they are pretty crappy.

Honestly, I have nothing against the device itself, they blow everything else out of the water in terms of cost.  But there's a lot of cat and mouse from Amazon and the hackers, and... I dislike being told what I can and can't do with my own hardware.  reminds me of the old PSP days lol

they will get rooted at some point, and at that point I may become interested again...

• Like 1

On 2/21/2022 at 4:01 PM, Soop said:

Honestly, it's been an interesting and thought provoking couple of weeks, and I've learned a lot, but I don't want to install a custom ROM on my phone.  I'll consider it on my Fire if and when it gets rooted, but essentially, all I'm missing now is that sweet spot where ROMs are large enough to take up a lot of space en mass, yet old enough to be loadable over an Internet share, so PS1 ish.

for what it's worth, I load all my roms over the network on the shield tv (it can mount SMB drives) and they run great.

13 minutes ago, sage2050 said:

for what it's worth, I load all my roms over the network on the shield tv (it can mount SMB drives) and they run great.

Yeah Shield can do it.  No good for me though since I want to be able to access it on the go :(