LaunchBox Community Forums

Dreamcast BIOS not asked in Launchbox and missing in Retroarch

Ventrex1981

When I add a Dreamcast ROM via Launchbox he does not ask for the BIOS file. Like he does when adding a PSX rom.

Starting from Launchbox does nothing (no error, just nothing) ,and when I start the game via RetroArch he says he misses the Naomi.zip file

Where do i need to place the Naomi.zip file?

And is it correct/bug that for Dreamcast no BIOS question is asked?

1 hour ago, Ventrex1981 said:

Starting from Launchbox does nothing (no error, just nothing)

Where do i need to place the Naomi.zip file?

You need dc_boot.bin and place it in the RetroArch\system\dc folder. Look HERE for more information about the bios files you need (and the Flycast core in general).

Also, if your Dreamcast game is compressed with zip, you need to extract the zip before launching. And make sure your games work in RetroArch directly before adding them to LaunchBox.

and when I start the game via RetroArch he says he misses the Naomi.zip file

Are you sure you actually have a Dreamcast game? Sega Naomi is the equivalent arcade hardware and shares a lot of the same games with the Dreamcast. 

Thank you Robin… I mean “your friendly AI overlord” 

Yes I unpacked the zip file and placed them in the system\dc folder. 

Tomorrow I will check if it is indeed a Dreamcast game, that is the only thing that might be the issue. Will add some more. 

thanks for the reply!

Thank you Robin… I mean “your friendly AI overlord” 

Yeah... It probably wasn't a good idea to binge watch Bassie en Adriaan before watching The Matrix. All I can think now, maybe Bassie is The One. 😉

Yes I unpacked the zip file and placed them in the system\dc folder. 

Dreamcast games should be unpacked before launching. Bios files must be placed in the system\dc folder, still zipped.

Tomorrow I will check if it is indeed a Dreamcast game, that is the only thing that might be the issue. Will add some more. 

Dreamcast games usually come in bin/gdi, bin/cue or cdi format. Naomi games are zip or zip/chd and should not be unpacked before launching. (If you unpack a zipped naomi game, it would contain romfiles with names like epr-21868.ic7.)