LaunchBox Community Forums

Cruisin USA MAME Controls for Xbox controller

malaki1974

Not having any luck setting up the controls for Crusin USA with my xbox controller.  So sensitive.  Does anyone have this working on the xbox controller? Can someone send a screen shot of your controller settings in mame?

Thank you!

Edited by malaki1974
Text color

5 hours ago, malaki1974 said:

Not having any luck setting up the controls for Crusin USA with my xbox controller.  So sensitive.  Does anyone have this working on the xbox controller? Can someone send a screen shot of your controller settings in mame?

Calibrate your controls in the game's service menu.

1461533648_Schermopname(41).thumb.jpg.821865596b6993f6a7396aaa7fdbbef0.jpg

Default keys are:

F2 (enter service menu)

- (keypad minus, move down)

F2 (enter to activate)

Also make sure you have configured a sufficient joystick_deadzone in mame.ini. (mine is set to 0.3)

My controller settings for Cruis'n USA:

1076033496_Schermopname(47).thumb.jpg.cff2b9a4b7f749b34224a4bf37aad3f9.jpg

Edited by Your_Friendly_AI_Overlord
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for replying. I can’t get the - on the joystick trigger to show (I’ve looked up how to do it but it doesn’t work) and the sensitivity is still way to high. Last favor: could you paste your xml so I can see the format? The dead zone was already as you suggested. Thanks again. 

Thank you for replying. I can’t get the - on the joystick trigger to show (I’ve looked up how to do it but it doesn’t work)

First delete your old binding. (Del). Then press Enter to input your new binding, for example the right trigger. It will say "Joy 1 RT". Press Enter, then the right trigger again. It will say "Joy 1 RT +". Then press Enter, then the right trigger again. It will say "Joy 1 RT -". You can also play around with the Analog Control sensitivity.

1473181250_Schermopname(42).thumb.jpg.5e66882d6ae6dc8e0fab35936ef94434.jpg

135111095_Schermopname(44).thumb.jpg.5b8508b1f803a822997fd456f2c87f46.jpg

could you paste your xml so I can see the format?

Which xml are you referring to?

*Edit*

Let me emphasize the proper sequence for setting up analog controls in Mame. First, configure your controller bindings. You can check if your binding are set up properly in the "Analog Controls" sub-menu. Then calibrate your analog controls in the game's service menu. Those older games are made for older analog input devices with completely different analog input ranges and have to be calibrated to work properly with the analog input ranges of newer input devices.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for all of your help. I got it working much better but some odd things: my successive input bindings just repeat the same input. I’ve seen someone else complain about the same thing. I cannot get the +/- to show. It just keeps repeating itself. Someone, somewhere, said long press the second time to get +/- but no luck. I also put sensitivity to 0, and when in the f2 menu I only pressed my analog controls partway left and right (about 50%?) for steering. Now I can control the car pretty well. Even won a race or two so far. The menu for tracks is still super sensitive but again I can mostly pick the right track about 25% of the time. Before I could only pick far left/right. Same for cars. But awesome progress. I’m going to try cruisin world next with same input ideas that you helped me with. Oh and one more thing I don’t see the paddle sensitivity menu below the tab menu like you do. But no worries. I wanted the cfg file so I could see what +/- looked like so I could just paste it in. 

1 hour ago, malaki1974 said:

I wanted the cfg file so I could see what +/- looked like so I could just paste it in. 

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!-- This file is autogenerated; comments and unknown tags will be stripped -->
<mameconfig version="10">
    <system name="crusnusa">
        <video>
            <target index="0" view="Screen 0 Pixel Aspect (32:25)" />
        </video>
        <ui_warnings launched="1610042524" warned="1610042519" />
        <input>
            <port tag=":ACCEL" type="P1_PEDAL" mask="255" defvalue="0">
                <newseq type="standard">
                    JOYCODE_1_ZAXIS_NEG
                </newseq>
            </port>
            <port tag=":BRAKE" type="P1_PEDAL2" mask="255" defvalue="0">
                <newseq type="standard">
                    JOYCODE_1_RZAXIS_NEG
                </newseq>
            </port>
            <port tag=":IN0" type="VOLUME_DOWN" mask="256" defvalue="256">
                <newseq type="standard">
                    KEYCODE_MINUSPAD
                </newseq>
            </port>
            <port tag=":IN0" type="P1_BUTTON8" mask="1024" defvalue="1024">
                <newseq type="standard">
                    NONE
                </newseq>
            </port>
            <port tag=":IN0" type="P1_BUTTON7" mask="2048" defvalue="2048">
                <newseq type="standard">
                    NONE
                </newseq>
            </port>
            <port tag=":WHEEL" type="P1_PADDLE" mask="255" defvalue="128">
                <newseq type="standard">
                    JOYCODE_1_XAXIS
                </newseq>
            </port>
        </input>
    </system>
</mameconfig>

The menu for tracks is still super sensitive but again I can mostly pick the right track about 25% of the time.

The track selection menu is still very sensitive for me as well. Try moving your tumbstick slowly in a semi-circle.

Oh and one more thing I don’t see the paddle sensitivity menu below the tab menu like you do.

I'm on Mame 0.240. If you hit tab, it's under the "Analog Controls" sub-menu.

• Thanks 1