LaunchBox Community Forums

[Tutorial] Dealing with games that have playable secondary discs

Disco Lando

In lieu of having individual entries in the DB for games of this type, or an easy way to see which games have multiple discs when combining duplicate entries, I've come up with a workaround for keeping games in the list that have playable secondary discs.

As an example, I've picked Resident Evil 2 for the Sega Dreamcast. Disc One is Leon's story, and Disc Two is Claire's story, each independently playable.

First, before importing your ROMs, rename the files. In my case, they were:

Resident Evil 2 (v1.001)(2000)(Capcom)(US)(Disc 1 of 2)[!][Leon].chd
Resident Evil 2 (v1.001)(2000)(Capcom)(US)(Disc 2 of 2)[!][Claire].chd

I then changed the names to:

Resident Evil 2 - Leon (v1.001)(2000)(Capcom)(US)(Disc 1 of 2)[!][Leon].chd
Resident Evil 2 - Claire (v1.001)(2000)(Capcom)(US)(Disc 2 of 2)[!][Claire].chd

After importing the ROMs, these two games are left without artwork or metadata. Edit the entries one by one and change the title to "Resident Evil 2" and then search for metadata, choosing the correct DB result. You can now safely set the title back to what it was before ("Resident Evil: Claire" or "Resident Evil: Leon"). Once the title is set back, go to the media tab and download the media files. It will download the artwork, but the downloaded file names will be adjusted to match the modified title. Now you've got both entries in your list with unique list titles (in text menu mode, anyway) and full artwork/metadata.

Edited by Disco Lando