LaunchBox Community Forums

Project64 and RetroArch (nestopia) fail to return screen to fullsize after ESC

Occelot

Hey guys, just like the title implies, when I start an N64 game or NES game through launchbox and press ESC to exit the game, the screen stays at 4:3 at whatever resolution was set by the game. However, when I play the game through project64 or retroarch directly, the screen returns to normal after I exit. Has anyone encountered this before?

Edited by Occelot

2 minutes ago, Occelot said:

Hey guys, just like the title implies, when I start an N64 game or NES game through launchbox and press ESC to exit the game, the screen stays at 4:3 at whatever resolution was set by the game. However, when I play the game through project64 or retroarch directly, the screen returns to normal after I exit. Has anyone encountered this before?

Sounds to me like you are not closing those emulators in a safe way, therefore Windows keeps the resolution/aspect. Are you just hitting escape on a keyboard, or using a script?

13 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Sounds to me like you are not closing those emulators in a safe way, therefore Windows keeps the resolution/aspect. Are you just hitting escape on a keyboard, or using a script?

Thanks for the response. I'm just  hitting ESC on the keyboard. Is there some sort of boilerplate ESC script I should be using to handle exiting gracefully?

So, I'm guessing what's happening is, the emulator is responding to EXIT and closing, which is underminding launchbox's exit procedure.. So to fix, I would think I need to either assign a different button to exit via launchbox controls, vs using the emulator default exit button (esc). OR, remove the "esc" mapping from the emulator, and continue using launchbox' `esc` as exit for emulators.

Teach me the ways of the Jedi.

52 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Thanks for the response. I'm just  hitting ESC on the keyboard. Is there some sort of boilerplate ESC script I should be using to handle exiting gracefully?