LaunchBox Community Forums

Video Audio Normalize

Pommel

Has anyone had any success in normalizing the audio for videos in Launchbox/Bigbox?

If I open them in VLC from the ThirdParty/VLC folder of Launchbox directly it is picking up my normalize settings in there. When I play them in Launchbox or Bigbox however the videos are back to their original volume. 

I saw there was a vlc.cfg file in ThirdParty with the normalize settings: 
[normvol] # Volume normalizer

# Number of audio buffers (integer)
norm-buff-size=20

# Maximal volume level (float)
norm-max-level=3.000000

# Audio filters (string)
audio-filter=normvol

I uncommented these but it seems to make no difference. I saw a post during the version 9 beta that changes were not reflecting and there was some uncertainty it was being used?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Edited by Pommel

2 hours ago, Pommel said:

# Audio filters (string)
audio-filter=normvol

I don't know if LB/BB sends overrides that will preclude cfg settings, but try changing "normvol" to "normalizer" per the Wiki.

But that may not even help because I thing that cfg file is more of a 'guideline' or only gets loaded via a command line parameter.

You might get lucky by modifying "vlcrc" located in  C:\Users\%username%\AppData\vlc\   It has no file extension and may not even exist. Hence the "lucky" part.  It can be opened with a text editor (Notepad++)

And if none of that works or helps, you're no worse off than you were when you first inquired about it. ;) 

• Like 1

Many thanks for the suggestions @JoeViking245!

I opened the vlcrc you mentioned and found the changes already applied in there so I think that is what is being used when I open VLC and playing videos that way. 

I tried changing to 'normalizer' for the audio-filter but no dice. Looking under another area of the wiki section for audio-filters it says to use 'normvol' for it to use normalizer so set it back to that  but made no difference anyhow. :)

All good ideas, I will keep trying. Thanks!

• Like 1

Still no luck unfortunately but unwilling to admit defeat! :)

@JoeViking245, you mentioned that the cfg file may be more a guideline and only gets loaded via a command line parameter. I wasn't sure if launchbox has something like that. Do you know if there is some readme with a list of properties you can add to launchbox.exe or bigbox.exe to do something like that? 
For example, creating a shortcut like:
C:\Games\Launchbox\Launchbox.exe <INSERT PROPERTY>

1 hour ago, Pommel said:

you mentioned that the cfg file may be more a guideline and only gets loaded via a command line parameter.

That was actually just a guess based on: that it's there, but when you make changes, nothing happens.

LaunchBox/BigBox executables don't have any command line parameter options.

At this point, you might could just manually normalize the audio in the videos themselves.  You could probably batch it with some audio software or even ffmpeg.  Kind of a pain.  But doable.

Another option is check the speaker properties on your PC and see if there's a loudness equalization enhancement feature.  

image.png.a0890a2a02ee13144e5cf11c85e2351f.png

And when all other avenues are exhausted ('defeated' or otherwise), you can always put in a feature request.  Click Help & Support above and select Request a Feature.

• Like 1