LaunchBox Community Forums

BigBox suddenly stops playing startup video...

FormulaFox

On 10/8/2022 at 1:50 PM, FormulaFox said:

Volume control. It's a simple 3.5mm volume control knob(specifically, this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B2KDL3Y1?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details ). There's a hole on the front panel that is still covered by the graphics which this will eventually stick out of for ease of access, but I have to make an extension for the knob first.

That is the on/off remote for this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Defiant-Wireless-Indoor-Outdoor-Remote-Control-YLT-42/301844750

The way I originally planned this is that I had a power button for the PC that would be inside of the control panel to turn things on, but I rain into a bit of a snag when I installed the LED light strip for the marquee backlight - if I plugged it into the USB ports on the PC, it would always be on, even when the PC was powered off. So I needed a pwoer switch for it. Initially I just looked for USB switches, but at some point I figured there was no reason I couldn't just get a switch for the whole system. A simple power strip would do, and while looking for deals I stumbled across that - in stock locally. Only power plugs on the system were for the PC and monitor, so two ports was just fine.

Then I got to thinking.... is there a way to make a PC boot up automatically when it gets power?

Answer? YES - at least on some motherboards - In the BIOS, go to the Advanced tab, highlight "Restore AC Power Loss" and if it has three options, "Power Off, Power On, Restore Last State" then Power On will make the system boot when you flip your power switch on. So now that remote turns on the monitor and marquee light, AND boots the PC.

I had not expected this when I started the project. I still have the power button in the control panel arrangement so I can more easily do a hard shutdown if the system freezes, but this overall arrangement is MUCH better. :D

Ahh OK so this method already uses an idea I'm familiar with via the UEFI power options but I never thought to use a remote control to turn the power on/off. I was thinking the same way with the power strip and flipping the toggle switch but the remote sure is handier I bet! Thanks for sharing!