LaunchBox Community Forums

Retroarch Core Labels VS Launchbox

oidium45

Hello everyone,

I am having some issues with the cores in Retroarch plus not matching the cores listed in Launchbox. I can see similarities in the names but no combination is working. I am also having this issue with SNES, Sega Genesis and N64.

For example;

Launchbox for NES:

bnes_libretro_android.so

emux_nes_libretro_android.so

fceumm_libretro_android.so

mesen_libretro_android.so

nestopia_liberto_android.so

quicknes_liberto_android.so

Retroarch for NES:

Nintendo - NES / Famicon (FCEUmm)

Nintendo - NES / Famicon (Mesen)

Nintendo - NES / Famicon (Nestopia UE)

Nintendo - NES / Famicon (QuickNES)

The titles you see in Launchbox are of the actual file names of the cores themselves and what the commandline calls when it launches them.

What RetroArch is showing is a sanitized version of the names where it isn't showing the file name but instead the core name itself. The are both showing the same thing just in different ways. And if you downloaded Retroarch yourself, you need to make sure you have that core installed yourself or change which core Launchbox tells retroarch to use from the Launchbox emulator menu "Associated Platforms" tab.

Where can I find the Associated Platforms tab in Launchbox?  The only other place where I can find emulator settings is inside the 'All Games' for a specific emulator, is there anywhere else for emulator configurations?

Here I can see 3 cores for Turbografx, but I have added 8 to Retroarch, so its not in sync. I'm using the Retroarch night build so I can get the built-in downloader. For this core I chose 'Retroarch' as the default emulator (when I click 'Verify Configuration' it tells me everything is OK).

Thanks

Edited by mrs1

I connected the Odin to a Windows PC and I did a search in the entire storage for mednafen*.* and found nothing, but since I had already installed and uninstalled several Retroarch's I decided to start from scratch.

Steps:

1 - I erased the Odin completely (apps and data).

2 - I installed Retroarch downloaded from their website to get the content downloader (https://buildbot.libretro.com/stable/1.11.1/android/RetroArch.apk)

3 - I installed Launchbox and the license

4 - Added TurboGrafx games to Launchbox

5 - The cores option in Launchbox already has the 3 cores in the screenshot below. I had NOT added anything to Retroarch.

6 - If I try to launch a game Launchbox will open a blank screen, but no game (which is obviously expected).

This means Launchbox already has some default core names pre-configured? How can I get it to take into consideration only the cores I specifically installed in Retroarch? Thanks

IMG_5282.thumb.JPG.08b29e90ea0954decd90f3e9f6de698d.JPG

IMG_5286.thumb.JPG.602e739d774b9e833e50d50c089d4026.JPG

IMG_5285.thumb.JPG.03d81c9f6e727511885a80da29b0a26a.JPG

Edited by mrs1

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, mrs1 said:

Can someone please confirm if this is a bug or expected behavior?

A Black Screen indicates that RetroArch is missing the core that you configured in LaunchBox, or it's missing some kind of required system file.

This is normal. LaunchBox has set configurations for certain cores, but you still need to go into RetroArch and download the cores. In your example of NEC TurboGrafx-16, In RetroArch, go to Online Updated > Core Downloader, and download the 3 cores that start with NEC PC Engine... LaunchBox lists them as their file names (mednafen...), RetroArch lists them under core names (Beetle...). Download the right core (or all of them), configure LaunchBox with one of cores you just downloaded and you should be good to go.

The dark screen as I mentioned is expected... because after resetting my Odin to factory defaults, I did not install any cores on purpose.

The problem here is that after the reset, Launchbox is showing 3 PC Engine core options that should not be listed. Shouldn't the core list match the ones installed?

Thanks

Edited by mrs1

21 minutes ago, mrs1 said:

The dark screen as I mentioned is expected... because after resetting my Odin to factory defaults, I did not install any cores on purpose.

The problem here is that after the reset, Launchbox is showing 3 PC Engine core options that should not be listed. Shouldn't the core list match the ones installed?

Thanks

Unfortunately no, there's no way for LaunchBox to gain access to another app's information to tell what's installed or not within them. On Windows we can do this, but on Android we can't. There's a list of preconfigured options in LaunchBox for Android with the expectation that you then need to download the emulator (and core when dealing with RetroArch) yourself.

So there is no way to manually choose the core or to force a specific core to be chosen within Launchbox?

For example I have installed 2 PC Engine cores which are none of the 3 that come pre-defined in Launchbox, there is no way to tell Launchbox to specifically run one or the other?

Are the 3 pre-defined cores in some configuration file I could edit?

Thanks

Edited by mrs1

2 minutes ago, mrs1 said:

So there is no way to manually choose the core or to force a specific core to be chosen within Launchbox?

For example I have installed 2 PC Engine cores which are none of the 3 that come pre-defined in Launchbox, there is no way to tell Launchbox to specifically run one or the other?

Are the 3 pre-defined cores in some configuration file I could edit?

Thanks

So, the answer unfortunately is no. The LaunchBox for Android app needs to be pre-configured with core options.

However, in saying that, if you are referring to your TurboGrafx-16 example, all cores are already listed in LaunchBox, they are just listed under the file name, so they only seem different than the ones listed in RetroArch, but they are already there.

• mednafe_pce_fast_libretro_android.so = NEC - PC Engine / CD (Beetle PCE FAST)
  • mednafen_pce_libretro_android.so = NEC - PC Engine / SuperGrafx / CD (Bettle PCE)
  • mednafen_supergrafx_libretro_android.so = NEC - PC Engine SuperGrafx (Beetle SuperGrafx)

You can correct me if I'm wrong here, and if you do find a RetroArch core that doesn't exist in LaunchBox for Android, you can make the request here in a post and we can look into adding it in a future update.