LaunchBox Community Forums

Bigbox crash on wake

BabyBillyFreeman

I'm working on a "mega-console" LB build for our living room, and in the process of setting this up (right at the finish line of course!)- I discovered that BigBox crashes anytime the PC comes out of sleep mode.

Using Windows 10 Pro and latest Bigbox.

To reproduce, launch BB, go to settings menus, go down and select "sleep"- PC goes to sleep like normal, but when PC wakes, BB settings menu shows up "frozen" and after about 30 seconds crashes. This is consistent and happens 100% of the time for me.

Anyone else experience this? Maybe it's just this one machine I'm using? Thanks for any help!

8 hours ago, BabyBillyFreeman said:

I'm working on a "mega-console" LB build for our living room, and in the process of setting this up (right at the finish line of course!)- I discovered that BigBox crashes anytime the PC comes out of sleep mode.

Using Windows 10 Pro and latest Bigbox.

To reproduce, launch BB, go to settings menus, go down and select "sleep"- PC goes to sleep like normal, but when PC wakes, BB settings menu shows up "frozen" and after about 30 seconds crashes. This is consistent and happens 100% of the time for me.

Anyone else experience this? Maybe it's just this one machine I'm using? Thanks for any help!

Probably not what you want to hear, but I have my computer set to sleep, but when it comes out of sleep mode, Big Box remains responsive for me. So, I'm interested to know why it's happening for you. Maybe there are some adjustments to the Windows power options you could make.

Hi @faeranthanks for chiming in, it's good to know that the feature does work in general, so at least it narrows it down that it's probably something about the machine itself.

Windows has always been a pain with sleep and hibernation, on other machines I've had issues for years where Windows crashes when coming out of sleep mode and you have to mess with the power options until it's "happy" again lol.

Ugh Windows....

I'll continue tinkering and if I figure out the problem I'll post here in case it helps anyone else.

In the meantime, the final and biggest problem I'm having with my "mega-console" for the living room, is trying to figure out how to turn the machine on with an xbox controller- this is something that's eluded me for a while now. I've tried with both BT wireless, using the official xbox wireless dongle, and hard wired with USB cable- but none of those work to boot up the machine. I've researched this quite a bit, and I've found sites where people say that this does work with Windows, but you have to have a controller hard wired with a USB cable. I tried this, but still doesn't work, even when setting the device settings (device manager) to not allow USB ports, etc. to lose power in sleep mode.

If anyone knows a solution to THAT problem, I would be eternally grateful! 

Where is your storage located? Are you running local SATA drives? Or do you have storage on USB/LAN?

Regardless... I'm going to hazard a guess that when Windows is putting the PC to sleep something is coming back online later than expected after wake. BigBox is trying to find a resource it previously had a hold of and then bombing out when it isn't there. In my experience USB is great at causing that particular issue, but it isn't the only possibility. 

As for your remote power on... Silverstone actually makes a PCI-E add-in device that lets you remotely power the PC with a keychain dongle that ships with it. To my understanding, you could probably make that work with a universal remote if you want it more integrated to your entertainment setup. It's not an xbox controller, but I figure it's worth mentioning.

Edited by Whatscheiser

On 10/14/2022 at 11:40 AM, Whatscheiser said:

Where is your storage located? Are you running local SATA drives? Or do you have storage on USB/LAN?

Regardless... I'm going to hazard a guess that when Windows is putting the PC to sleep something is coming back online later than expected after wake. BigBox is trying to find a resource it previously had a hold of and then bombing out when it isn't there. In my experience USB is great at causing that particular issue, but it isn't the only possibility. 

As for your remote power on... Silverstone actually makes a PCI-E add-in device that lets you remotely power the PC with a keychain dongle that ships with it. To my understanding, you could probably make that work with a universal remote if you want it more integrated to your entertainment setup. It's not an xbox controller, but I figure it's worth mentioning.

Ha wow didn't even think of that, great catch- I am using an external USB 3 hard drive plugged into this machine, that could very well be the cause of the problem, it makes sense!

As for the dongle idea- that's awesome, I didn't know they made that. I'll do some research and see if I can find one that's compatible with this gaming laptop (my living room "megaconsole" runs on a gaming laptop that has a RTX 2070; which works super awesome for everything all the way through PS3 and modern Steam PC games like Alien Isolation, RE2 remake, etc.)

Thanks guys, really appreciate how helpful people on this forum are!

• Like 1