LaunchBox Community Forums

RG351M LaunchBox Install?

OSIAS

So I am a tech but I am not so strong with the tablet / phone / handheld universe. I just bought a RG351M and I already bought the pro version of LaunchBox a couple years ago and have it running on multiple PC's. I do have it on 1 android device but that device was already running standard Android so I could install the LaunchBox APK on top of that and transfer my files easy enough.

This RG351M comes with a customer kernel OS of some form. I can't seem to back out of the customer kernel to get it to install APK files or get to a droid home page etc. So I went to try and replace it.

I downloaded Android 10 (Q) .zip. I used etcher to install the .zip. Etecher did pop one error saying it likely wasn't bootable no table. The RG351M sees the microSD but will not boot from it.

So what is the best method to install Launchbox on a RG351M? 

Please Advise

8 minutes ago, OSIAS said:

So I am a tech but I am not so strong with the tablet / phone / handheld universe. I just bought a RG351M and I already bought the pro version of LaunchBox a couple years ago and have it running on multiple PC's. I do have it on 1 android device but that device was already running standard Android so I could install the LaunchBox APK on top of that and transfer my files easy enough.

This RG351M comes with a customer kernel OS of some form. I can't seem to back out of the customer kernel to get it to install APK files or get to a droid home page etc. So I went to try and replace it.

I downloaded Android 10 (Q) .zip. I used etcher to install the .zip. Etecher did pop one error saying it likely wasn't bootable no table. The RG351M sees the microSD but will not boot from it.

So what is the best method to install Launchbox on a RG351M? 

Please Advise

As far as i recall there is no official Android support on that device, it uses linux out of the box, and all but one of the custon OS's are also linux based. There is one Android based OS, but i dont believe it allows installing APK's like that, its more a ready to go OS, and i think discontinued. The RG351 devices are pretty old at this point and very low powered with only 1GB of DDR2 RAM if i recal, that would probably be a terrible Launchbox experience, if you could even get it installed.

I have a GPD XD that I got a looong time ago, its running launchbox without issue, not big box but launchbox.

I don't remember exactly what I did to move it all over but it was very simple once everything was configured on my PC and LB was installed on the GPD XD. If I could install LaunchBox on the RG351M somehow I know the transfer will be easy and everything will already be setup from all the time I put into setting it up on the PC transfers.

Now I just bought this RG351M are you saying this is less powerful than the old GPD, it may not be much more powerful but I would imagine the RG351M wins. I don't intend to run PSP games more retro small space requirements etc.

So I have no options or no other options that are appealing? If its running linux, why can't I get into linux then I should be able to install LaunchBox via the below method.

I will start searching for that method see what I can find.

Does anyone recommend a retro launchbox hand held then?

49 minutes ago, OSIAS said:

Now I just bought this RG351M are you saying this is less powerful than the old GPD

Yes, i am afraid so the GPD is more powerful and designed to run Android, The RG351p is less powerful and designed to run emedded Linux OS solutions like Emu Elec or Batocera, which are highly stripped back linux based gaming distro's (there is no desktop or other linux programs for example). As for running the PC verion of Launchbox on Linux i dont believe that works anymore, and really wouldnt be any good if it did because as i said in my previous reply the RG351 is weak hardware with only 1GB of RAM, it is designed to run something like Batocera or Emu Elec, stripped back OS's, not actual full blown OS with desktops and installable programs and the like.

Currently Launchbox is only on Windows and Android, none of which will run on the RG351m i'm afraid. If i was you i would look into Batocera or AmberElec for that specific device.

2 minutes ago, OSIAS said:

Well okay then. Thanks for the feedback.

Are there any handheld devices anyone recommends that run Launch box? That are not a million dollars either.

If it needs to be relatively reasonably priced you can rule out running Launchbox for windows (unless you feel like getting a steam deck and a large sd card and flashing windows to it but that would be around £500). As for Android you could look at the Retroid Pocket 3 or the Ayn Odin which would run you around £150-£300. If you have a older Android phone laying around you may already have a perfectly good device that you could just wrap a telescopic controller around also.