LaunchBox Community Forums

Clearing caches and temporary stuff before backing up?

EvoluZion3

Hi everyone, my first post here. Loving LaunchBox and especially the community. Came to LB after abandoning GameBase due to sadly not being able to get it working with Windows 11. Anyway, all my LB is set up on an external USB drive, and I use SyncBackPro to mirror it onto another external USB drive for backup.

When I did my first backup I noticed it had naturally copied over hundreds of megs of cached images from the Cache-LB and -BB folders. I thought it would be good if I could clear out all temporary folders/files from my primary LB installation before backing up, just to save time and a gigabyte or so.

Is there an easy way to do this, other than writing a simple .bat file to clear out the \LaunchBox\Images\Cache-LB and \Cache-BB folders? Also are there any other temporary files I could remove? I realise I can exclude certain folders from the backup profile but I thought it'd be good to freshen up my primary system at the same time.

Thanks for any help :) 

3 hours ago, EvoluZion3 said:

Is there an easy way to do this, other than writing a simple .bat file to clear out the \LaunchBox\Images\Cache-LB and \Cache-BB folders?

The easiest way really, would be to leave them alone and just exclude them from your backup profile.  I've never used SyncBackPro, but I imagine it's customizable just like FreeFileSync is.  Which is what I do use.  

You could probably also exclude the /Logs/ folder.  The files under /Backups/ stay limited to the most recent 25 startup/shutdowns.  Those would be good to maintain and sync with your backup.

Really, the most crucial folder to back up is the /Data/ folder.  You can always redownload your images and videos, etc..  But you can never redownload the time and effort you put into setting up LaunchBox/BigBox just the way you like it. ;)