LaunchBox Community Forums

How to get Super Game Boy emulation to work in Launchbox?

Mr. CookieBat

Hi, this is my first time posting here.

And I was wondering if anyone knew how to get Super Game Boy games to work in Launchbox.  (i.e. play in color with the special border and everything)

I tried looking up a tutorial on YouTube, but it's horribly outdated.

If anyone can help, I'd be most grateful.  Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Here's the tutorial, for reference.  

Edited by Mr. CookieBat

23 hours ago, Mr. CookieBat said:

Hi, this is my first time posting here.

And I was wondering if anyone knew how to get Super Game Boy games to work in Launchbox.  (i.e. play in color with the special border and everything)

I tried looking up a tutorial on YouTube, but it's horribly outdated.

If anyone can help, I'd be most grateful.  Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Here's the tutorial, for reference.  

This is pretty straight forward once you know where to look for the settings. I'm assuming you have your Game Boy games already running OK in Retroarch for this to work. Go ahead and boot up a Game Boy game. When it's running hit the F1 key to open Retroarch's Quick Menu. From here navigate to "Options". The settings you need to change are in this Options menu. They are called "System - Emulated Model (Requires Restart)" and "System - Auto Detected SGB Model (Requires Restart)". If your ROM is "SGB Enhanced" (Super Game Boy Enhanced) and you have selected "Auto Detect DMC/SGB/CGB" it should load up the Super Game Boy stuff automatically. If you need to, select another option accordingly. For the 2nd one you want either "Super Game Boy NTSC" or Super Game Boy PAL" accordingly to the game's region.  There is the Super Game Boy 2 options, but I'm not sure what exactly they offer that the original doesn't. The 3rd option you might need to tinker with is "Video - Display Border" and you likely want the option "Only for Super Game Boy" selected here, but change per what you want here. Take note on the options that say require restart, you need to restart Retroarch, not just the current emulator/game running. Basically this means for those changes to happen you need to close and reopen Retroarch. If you want BEZELS (not to be confused with the Super Game Boy "borders")  you need to download those separately and recommend you get them through The Bezel Project.

2 hours ago, skizzosjt said:

This is pretty straight forward once you know where to look for the settings. I'm assuming you have your Game Boy games already running OK in Retroarch for this to work. Go ahead and boot up a Game Boy game. When it's running hit the F1 key to open Retroarch's Quick Menu. From here navigate to "Options". The settings you need to change are in this Options menu. They are called "System - Emulated Model (Requires Restart)" and "System - Auto Detected SGB Model (Requires Restart)". If your ROM is "SGB Enhanced" (Super Game Boy Enhanced) and you have selected "Auto Detect DMC/SGB/CGB" it should load up the Super Game Boy stuff automatically. If you need to, select another option accordingly. For the 2nd one you want either "Super Game Boy NTSC" or Super Game Boy PAL" accordingly to the game's region.  There is the Super Game Boy 2 options, but I'm not sure what exactly they offer that the original doesn't. The 3rd option you might need to tinker with is "Video - Display Border" and you likely want the option "Only for Super Game Boy" selected here, but change per what you want here. Take note on the options that say require restart, you need to restart Retroarch, not just the current emulator/game running. Basically this means for those changes to happen you need to close and reopen Retroarch. If you want BEZELS (not to be confused with the Super Game Boy "borders")  you need to download those separately and recommend you get them through The Bezel Project.

I can't seem to find those settings.  What core are they for?  I'm using ganbatte.

49 minutes ago, Mr. CookieBat said:

I can't seem to find those settings.  What core are they for?  I'm using ganbatte.

Ah ok. Sorry, I should've shared what core to use, you need use the sameboy core, these are core specific options. Maybe other cores can do it too but this is the one I got it working with.