LaunchBox Community Forums

Button mapping issue in N64 Emulation

Ged

Recently started playing around with launchbox/bigbox and N64 emulation.  I'm using an Xbox Controller for PC.  Launchbox opens up Retroarch Muppen core as the emulator.  I've spent ages reading through how to map buttons in retroarch and it would appear the mapped buttons work in the input controls area of retroarch yet I can't start the game - specifically Banjo Kazooie. The game launches, sits playing merrily through the menu / video / intro.  I can speed it up, slow it down....but i can't start the main game...

I know the button on the xbox controller is mapped to 'start' button  as when i hold it for 2 seconds ( Hotkey menu ) it toggles me back into the menu....The game simply won't start....Any clues...Been at this for 3 hours and starting to age rapidly.

Are there any control / mapping areas in launchbox / big box i should be reviewing

Same issues for Super Mario 64 as well. Sits on screen with Marios's head and Press Start flashing.

Thanks

Ged

Edited by Ged

• Ged changed the title to Button mapping issue in N64 Emulation

So I think I've figured it out but would appreciate input as it was a fluke.   I've been setting the controllers options after pressing F1 and then clicking back a couple of hierarchies until i get to the main menu. Scroll down to settings / input / controls then set the controller up in there and save configuration....What I subsequently did was to find the controllers under Quick Menu / Controls and I saw that START was allocated to C buttons...which i changed..and voila...now works..

What is the difference between setting the controls in the main menu versus the quick menu ?  

Thanks

18 hours ago, Ged said:

So I think I've figured it out but would appreciate input as it was a fluke.   I've been setting the controllers options after pressing F1 and then clicking back a couple of hierarchies until i get to the main menu. Scroll down to settings / input / controls then set the controller up in there and save configuration....What I subsequently did was to find the controllers under Quick Menu / Controls and I saw that START was allocated to C buttons...which i changed..and voila...now works..

What is the difference between setting the controls in the main menu versus the quick menu ?  

Thanks

'Input' is to match the correct buttons on your controller, 'Controls' is to remap those buttons per system or per game.

Input determines how your controller works in the Retroarch menus. A to select, B to go back for example, but you may want to swap those as they are for Nintendo consoles so you'd use 'Controls' in the Quick menu to do that.

Does that make sense?