LaunchBox Community Forums

Can no longer play with Dual Shock 4 PS2 controller wirelessly

MrSlippery

Hello,

I am not sure why, but now I do not seem to be able to play games wirelessly anymore.

It has been a couple weeks since I played anything on Launchbox, but the last time I did, I definitely got my PS2 Dual Shock 4 controller set up to play wirelessly. Now, though, games only recognize inputs if the controller is plugged in via usb.

Upon starting a game, though, when Bluetooth is turned on and my controller is 'connected,' Launchboxsays the controller is configured. However, no inputs are recognized. How do I map the buttons to inputs?

I know this was working before and I am not sure what changed.

Thank you for any help

Edit: Actually, the first message I get from Launchbox is 'Configuration override loaded.' Maybe that's why it isn't working. I am not sure how to stop this override from occurring. 

Edited by MrSlippery

Configuration override loaded? That is a message from Retroarch rather than LaunchBox

are you sure the controller even works wirelessly? unless you know for certain it does you need to prove that it works over bluetooth, use gamepad-tester.com and make sure that site recognizes it.  if it works OK there, then you know the problem is with Retroarch and whatever custom settings you saved. you could try deleting the custom config, but since we have no idea what type of config override you made, who knows which folder it is in other than it will be in Retroarch\config. Also who knows what settings it's actually overriding....kinda complicating giving any good help. From what I can tell you might be able to delete them under manage core options in the UI if it's a .opt file....but I think the "Configuration" term would mean it's a .cfg file. the config might just be for bezels even meaning you might NOT want to delete it and you just happen to have a problem with how the inputs/controller are configured. as in you might just need to reassign which controller button aligns with which emulated button.

Hello Skizz,

Yes, I am positive it works. I can use it to play Steam games (via Steam) just fine.

I am not sure what custom configuration I entered. but if I could just reassign the controller buttons to the emulated buttons, that would be awesome. I am not able to find where to reassign the buttons, though. The only thing I see is tools -> options -> mappings, but I think that is for Launchbox's interface and not for in-game playing.

On 1/19/2023 at 7:14 PM, MrSlippery said:

Hello Skizz,

Yes, I am positive it works. I can use it to play Steam games (via Steam) just fine.

I am not sure what custom configuration I entered. but if I could just reassign the controller buttons to the emulated buttons, that would be awesome. I am not able to find where to reassign the buttons, though. The only thing I see is tools -> options -> mappings, but I think that is for Launchbox's interface and not for in-game playing.

yea you're catching on that you're in the wrong spot. where you listed does indeed change stuff for LB. you need to be in Retroarch to make changes to the controls in the emulator. Global inputs are Main Menu > Settings > Input > Port X (X being the player #)  or once a game is booted Quick Menu > Controls > Port X (X being the player #) which are used to specify things per core, directory, or game

physical controller is represented on the left, the virtual controller is represented on the right

not 100% sure what is going on because as far as I know controllers don't behave different due to if they are connected to a system over bluetooth or a USB cable. so this really doesn't make sense that you state it works with Steam games over both, but only works with Retroarch over a USB cable.

if you setup bezels in Retroarch that could explain the custom config message since that makes a config for every game that has a bezel. The config details game ABC needs to use overlay file ABC. wouldn't want to delete that or the bezel wouldn't work anymore. otherwise you likely saved an override at some point in time.

hopefully the solution for you is just reassigning the controller properly but I'm skeptical there isn't some other issue going on