LaunchBox Community Forums

How to import Tiger Electronics handhelds to Launchbox?

azorean

Hi everyone

How do I import and play Tiger Electronics handhelds into Launchbox? I believe it requires MAME? I have installed MAME 0.251 and tried to import the these TIger Electronic roms but LaunchBox tells me that it requires a folder with a full rom set, which I don't have. Can anyone help please?

Thanks!

Edited by azorean

18 minutes ago, SLUGIE79 said:

do i use the mame emulator to run them?

Yes. They'll load/run just like the arcade games.

19 minutes ago, SLUGIE79 said:

how do i add them to launchbox

Easy way is to use the Import MAME Arcade Full Set Wizard.  When you get to the "How would you like to filter your games?" section, you need to un-check "Skip non-arcade games".  But do keep all the other 'skips' checked.   I don't know if this will import a bunch of other crap non-desirable games also.  But that's where these handhelds are "hidden".  However, with all the other skips checked, it may not be that big if a deal.

Another way is to find a list of the ROM names and drag and drop those files [from your full set] onto LB and import them that way.  Here's a list that @wallmachine procured.  (scroll down to "Tiger Electronics") 

Unfortunately, the ROM names are all intermixed with the Arcade ROMs.  

• Game On 1

On 1/29/2023 at 5:41 PM, JoeViking245 said:

Yes. They'll load/run just like the arcade games.

Easy way is to use the Import MAME Arcade Full Set Wizard.  When you get to the "How would you like to filter your games?" section, you need to un-check "Skip non-arcade games".  But do keep all the other 'skips' checked.   I don't know if this will import a bunch of other crap non-desirable games also.  But that's where these handhelds are "hidden".  However, with all the other skips checked, it may not be that big if a deal.

Another way is to find a list of the ROM names and drag and drop those files [from your full set] onto LB and import them that way.  Here's a list that @wallmachine procured.  (scroll down to "Tiger Electronics") 

Unfortunately, the ROM names are all intermixed with the Arcade ROMs.  

Hi @JoeViking245

I am trying to to import Tiger Electronics using the second method, by dragging the files from my MAME full set folder onto LB, but for some reason it won't detect anything to import when I do this. I have un-checked the "skip non-arcade games" and tried unchecking everything else but still no rom shows on the list to be imported. Any idea on how to sort this please?

50 minutes ago, azorean said:

it won't detect anything to import when I do this.

If you're not putting them in the "Arcade" platform, be sure to tell the importer to Scrape as Arcade.  Of course, set the emulator to MAME. 

If they're still not showing on the last screen (Ready to import), they may already have been imported [somewhere].  Click Back twice to the Would you like to specify any custom options screen.  Check the 1st option, Force importing duplicate games.  Click Next twice and see if they now show up.

If they now appear, you can import them [again] or not.  To find where they were previously imported to, on the left pane in LaunchBox select All.  Then above that in the Search box type in the name of a TE handheld game.  Like Apollo 13 or Battletoads

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, JoeViking245 said:

If you're not putting them in the "Arcade" platform, be sure to tell the importer to Scrape as Arcade.  Of course, set the emulator to MAME. 

If they're still not showing on the last screen (Ready to import), they may already have been imported [somewhere].  Click Back twice to the Would you like to specify any custom options screen.  Check the 1st option, Force importing duplicate games.  Click Next twice and see if they now show up.

If they now appear, you can import them [again] or not.  To find where they were previously imported to, on the left pane in LaunchBox select All.  Then above that in the Search box type in the name of a TE handheld game.  Like Apollo 13 or Battletoads

You're a star, many thanks! I solved it by forcing to import duplicate games.  

Edited by azorean
  • Game On 1

36 minutes ago, azorean said:

@JoeViking245 Can you please let me know if it is possible to delete all the unwanted MAME rom files from the hard-drive (to free up space)? Or would this make all games unplayable? Many thanks!    

It mostly depends on which MAME set you have.  Merged. Non-Merged. Split.

Here's some homework reading for ya. ;) 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, JoeViking245 said:

It mostly depends on which MAME set you have.  Merged. Non-Merged. Split.

Here's some homework reading for ya. ;) 

Thanks @JoeViking245, very helpful post!
My bad, I forgot to mention I have a merged. I won't be deleting any files from the hard-drive then but would it still be possible to delete all unwanted games from LaunchBox without causing any issues? Many thanks!

2 minutes ago, azorean said:

would it still be possible to delete all unwanted games from LaunchBox without causing any issues?

Yes.  Select the game(s) and click Delete.

In ToolsOptionsGeneral, there's a checkbox to Allow deleting ROMs when deleting games.  I'm pretty sure this is UN-checked by default.  But either way, you'll get a prompt (or several) you sure you want to remove the games from LaunchBox?... you sure you want to delete the ROMs?... do you want to remove the images etc. too?...  

DON'T just glance at the prompts and start clicking!!  Actually read them;) 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JoeViking245 said:

Yes.  Select the game(s) and click Delete.

In ToolsOptionsGeneral, there's a checkbox to Allow deleting ROMs when deleting games.  I'm pretty sure this is UN-checked by default.  But either way, you'll get a prompt (or several) you sure you want to remove the games from LaunchBox?... you sure you want to delete the ROMs?... do you want to remove the images etc. too?...  

DON'T just glance at the prompts and start clicking!!  Actually read them;) 

Great! Thanks for the help! :)

• Like 1