LaunchBox Community Forums

Collection Management & Drive Capacity

Dexll

From a capacity perspective, I am forced to use multiple drives.  For me, it really has shaken out to separating ROM based games (and LaunchBox install) on one drive, disc based games on another, and Windows games on a third.  And I will soon have to split out Windows games into small/large installs on to a 4th drive.

The challenge comes when I want to sync/share my LB with a friend or another computer.  Say if they only have room for ROM based games, they have to take all the configs and media for the disc and Windows based games.  That extra content (videos/music/manuals/images) really adds up.  Not to mention the LB install shows games they can't play.

So to me it seems the only solution is to have three separate LB installations, but then I have 3x the LaunchBoxes, 3x the updates, 3x the customization, no single interface for all.., Ahhhh!!!  🙃

Is it possible to 'link' LaunchBox installs, so I can see the content from one LB in another?  Has this feature been requested?  Do you think its practical?  Is this just another first world problem?  

Love to hear your thoughts and how you manage your collections with respect to dive capacity.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

My setup is like this...

\launchbox\   <--  just for LB related stuff

\roms\ <-- all roms, discs, zips, whatever goes here

\emulators\ <-- all emulators go here

\mame\ is the exception, as its its own beast

LB glues everything together.

symlinks, as Mcfly said, are a way to make multiple drives seem transparent.  for example:

\roms\collection "a" might be on the D drive

\roms\collection "b" is actually on the E drive, but is symlinked to d:\roms\collection "b" so it appears to be in the \roms\ main folder

I try to make everything as portable as possible.

• Like 1