LaunchBox Community Forums

Fun with retroarch (Super Gameboy + MSU-1)

Well this was a frustrating one. A lot of cores are listed in the libretro docs that simply are not available on the core downloader. In this case it was the NSide SNES core. It is supposed to have robust support for super gameboy but I couldn't find it. So this led me to getting BSNES to work. Sweet, that was easy but no sound. Wait, bsnes is a retroarch core, maybe I can play around with that I thought. Turns out you CAN load a gb rom using the super gameboy inside of retroarch. It is in the main menu listed under subsystems. Gameboy emulation in a super gameboy with CD audio worked great after finally getting the load sequence right. Of course we can't be bothered to do that from an arcade cabinet, I want make cake and I wanna eat it to!!!!!

Ok, long story short, I tracked down a list of command line arguments for retroarch, and with a little help from ChatGPT I now have it figured out and thought I would share.

The command line is:

retroarch -L /path/to/bsnes_hd_libretro.so -f --gameboy /path/to/gameboy_rom.gb /path/to/snes_rom.sfc

And 

Here's a breakdown of the command line arguments:

-L /path/to/bsnes_hd_libretro.so: Specifies the path to the BSNES HD core (bsnes_hd_libretro.so). Replace /path/to/bsnes_hd_libretro.so with the actual path to the BSNES HD core file on your system.

-f: Launches RetroArch in fullscreen mode.

--gameboy /path/to/gameboy_rom.gb: Specifies the path to the Game Boy ROM file (gameboy_rom.gb). Replace /path/to/gameboy_rom.gb with the actual path to the Game Boy ROM file you want to load.

/path/to/snes_rom.sfc: Specifies the path to the Super Nintendo ROM file (snes_rom.sfc). Replace /path/to/snes_rom.sfc with the actual path to the Super Nintendo ROM file you want to load.

Make sure to replace the file paths with the correct paths to the respective ROM files on your system.

I hope this helps others. Happy memorial day!

Played a little further. Pretty cool to know that GPT knows how to use retroarch and launchbox. A bit scary though bc I have been emulating things since the days of No$Gb and boycott advanced and I know absolutely nothing next to a chat bot. 

"In Launchbox, the command line arguments for RetroArch are typically set within the emulator configuration. Here's how you can configure RetroArch with the desired settings for launching a Super Nintendo ROM using the BSNES HD core and loading a Game Boy cartridge using the Super Game Boy subsystem:

Open Launchbox and go to the associated Super Nintendo game entry.
Right-click on the game and select "Edit".
In the Edit Game window, navigate to the "Emulation" tab.
In the "Emulator" field, make sure RetroArch is selected.
In the "Default Command-Line Parameters" field, enter the following:
arduino
Copy code
-L "PATH HIDDEN" "{file}"
Make sure to adjust the paths to the core, Game Boy ROM, and Super Nintendo ROM according to your system. The {file} placeholder is a Launchbox variable that will be replaced with the path to the Super Nintendo ROM.

Save the changes, and try launching the Super Nintendo game again through Launchbox. This should pass the correct command line arguments to RetroArch, launching the Super Nintendo ROM using the BSNES HD core and loading the Game Boy ROM using the Super Game Boy subsystem.

If you have any further issues or questions, please let me know."