LaunchBox Community Forums

Saving Shader per Content Directory for game launched via Retroarch not working as expected

dsync89

After successfully setting up Mega Bezel project and setup Duimon's Mega Bezel pack, I then try to use different shader for different game content folder while using the same core. E.g. loading Game Boy game should apply Duimon GB shader Preset, while loading Game Boy Color game should apply Duimon GBC shader preset. I know RetroArch already support saving different shader preset per Content Directory (in addition to per Core and per Game), but the behaviour is different/not expected when launching it via LaunchBox.

Issues:

When trying to apply Save Shader > Save Content Directory option, game launched via Launchbox using RetroArch emulator will always saved as `Temp.slangp` under `retroarch/config/CORE_NAME/Temp.slangp`. This causes issue where all the game launched by this core will always use the same preset.

When trying to Load Content from RA emulator itself, saving the shader using the same `Save Content Directory` option will save the shader as `CONTENT_FOLDER_NAME.slangp` under `retroarch/config/EMULATOR_NAME/CONTENT_FOLDER_NAME.slangp`. When the game residing at that CONTENT_FOLDER_NAME is launched, RA will then load its `.slangp` file instead of a static `Temp.slangp` file.

One approach is of course using Additional App setting option for each game and run a batch file to copy the right .slangp file, but adding it to thousands of game is tedious and time consuming.

56 minutes ago, dsync89 said:

After successfully setting up Mega Bezel project and setup Duimon's Mega Bezel pack, I then try to use different shader for different game content folder while using the same core. E.g. loading Game Boy game should apply Duimon GB shader Preset, while loading Game Boy Color game should apply Duimon GBC shader preset. I know RetroArch already support saving different shader preset per Content Directory (in addition to per Core and per Game), but the behaviour is different/not expected when launching it via LaunchBox.

Issues:

When trying to apply Save Shader > Save Content Directory option, game launched via Launchbox using RetroArch emulator will always saved as `Temp.slangp` under `retroarch/config/CORE_NAME/Temp.slangp`. This causes issue where all the game launched by this core will always use the same preset.

When trying to Load Content from RA emulator itself, saving the shader using the same `Save Content Directory` option will save the shader as `CONTENT_FOLDER_NAME.slangp` under `retroarch/config/EMULATOR_NAME/CONTENT_FOLDER_NAME.slangp`. When the game residing at that CONTENT_FOLDER_NAME is launched, RA will then load its `.slangp` file instead of a static `Temp.slangp` file.

One approach is of course using Additional App setting option for each game and run a batch file to copy the right .slangp file, but adding it to thousands of game is tedious and time consuming.

It sounds like your saving a "full" preset, Duimon recommends saving a "simple preset" when your saving shader settings using his presets. Its in the shader options in retroarch somewhere, do you by chance have that turned off? I save a per core preset as the default, then i set "per dir" presets for example, for Famicom and Super Famicom, where I have the roms in a separate folder.

When saving the shader it should save it in the retroarch/cfg/corename folder along with all your other cfgs. At least thats where mine save. They are named by the core, folder, or game I saved them as. It saves them there anytime I save  them, even when launched from lb. Might want to delete those TEMP ones, they might be loading on their own and messing something up

Edited by KingSlayer420

• 9 months later...

It happened to me and it was because of the compressed files. Launchbox unzips them and sends them directly to Retroarch.

Retroarch saves a configuration with games in zip but receives them in (example nes console) "nfc".

In my case the solution is to have the games already unzipped in game folder so that Retroarch can save the folder paths correctly.

Cheers Rei Ayanami, that is exactly the problem! I can confirm that your solution works.

I had just figured this out when noticing the slangp file was named "temp.slango", which implicated a sort of temp directory. Your solution is precisely the thing I did with my Mega Drive/Genesis (*.md), Master System (*.sms) and Game Gear (*.gg) games. Just unzipping them is all it takes.